Hi,

I have searched the forum for advice on whether shops tend to be open for a bit on Easter Sunday and Monday, but couldn't find the information.  We are planning to arrive at Carcassonne airport on Easter Sunday and are wondering if we will have to go hungry and cold in our maison secondaire  (34) for two days, until life gets back to normal after Easter? 

Thanks a lot for any information on that!

Anna

Sunday is a normal Sunday, ie most shops closed and Monday is a bank holiday so most shops again closed, in order to avoid utter starvation, (not sure why you would be cold the central heating still works on bank holidays in France) [:D],  so you could fly in on Friday or Saturday when the shops will be open or perhaps go to a restaurant, most are open Suinday lunchtimes even at Pâques (Easter)[:)].

We have 'Eastered' in the area and survived 2 or 3 times, but I cannot remember the details of how. Sunday is a normal day and Perpignan is open. A long way away from Carcassone I know but I say it for example only (i.e. size).  I don't know quite where you are going.

If you know of some large shops in your area it might be worth asking them directly.

In addition the motorway services have shops.

The ski resorts should be open!

Good luck.

Thank you for your replies.  I feel encouraged now that we won't starve; we might still freeze, though - no heating (or furniture, for that matter), in our ancienne remise rurale.  I hope the weather warms up a bit by April!

Anna

we might still freeze, though - no heating (or furniture, for that matter), in our ancienne remise rurale.  I hope the weather warms up a bit by April!

Anna

Take some hot water bottles with you and some of those fleece throws. Electric blankets might be a good way to warm the beds which will be glacial if they have not been used all winter. Of course a bottle of brandy might provide a warm glow!

Bon courage