Bank cards in France

Mrs Trellis

[quote user="sid"]

[quote user="dave21478"]I don't think its really a feasible plan - my experience of French banks is that they dislike handing out cash. I'm with the Credit Agricole and my branch is the main one for the area (admittedly a rural area) and they have a "float" of 2k euros for the day, which they will distribute amongst the other branches as they need it. They will not pay it out to one person as it would leave them with nothing else. It is theoretically possible to withdraw larger amounts, but you need to give written notice in advance, explain what it is for (I doubt if that's a real requirement, I suspect they are just nosy feckers) and obviously show the usual ID.....ie 19 different forms of photo ID, an attestation from the midwife who delivered you and a character reference from the Pope. Basically - they have your money, and if you are really nice to them, pay them the relevant fees and jump through the right hoops, they will let you have it piecemeal. If you don't like that - tough titty.[/quote]

That doesn't sound right; there's more than that in a cash machine, so they must have more available to refill the machine. It depends on the note denomination of course, but 20,000€ wouldn't be unusual for an ATM in the country, and in the towns and cities it would be considerably more.

I think there is just a suspicion of requesting large amounts of cash when most things can be paid for by cheque or card.

[/quote]

I am not counting the cash machine. As rightly stated by Chancer, the branch have nothing to do with the cash level in the machine. Besides, you can still only get 250 or so out at a time, so its not really any use.

The reason I know is that I saw an item for sale that I required....the seller proposed a hefty discount for cash payment. I went into the branch to withdraw my money from my account (madness, I know!). The pretty girl at the front desk said it was probably not possible but she would ask the manager. I sat in the waiting bit and since none of the offices have doors I could hear them talking quite clearly. It was from there that I learned about the daily 2k float, and the manager finally came out, asked why I wanted four thousand euros of my own money, and told me it was just not possible without written notice to allow them to request enough money be delivered.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sid wrote: "…the manager finally came out, asked why I wanted four thousand euros of my own money…"

It's illegal to make a cash payment to a professional exceeding 3,000 euros. Nothing to do with the float problem, of course, but it may have been a reason for his question.

No AllanB, I didn't write that... It was a quote from another poster.  In truth I can't imagine any need for amounts like that in cash; to me it smells of something "out of the ordinary", and I'm sure this is why it raises eyebrows. In a country where cheques still reign supreme, cash dealings for large amounts are unusual.

That is not even close to being a reason. I know it is illegal to make large cash payments, but exactly what I do with My money is MY business and nobody elses. The banks job is at its very simplest to hold my money for me, they are not there to choose what I can do with it and they are certainly not there to enforce laws regarding who I pay cash to.

Like I said - Nosy feckers, pure and simple.

When I did finally manage to make the withdrawal, I told him I was giving it all to cat and dog shelters. He didn't believe me and I couldn't give a chuff if he did or not. The question is not on any of the paperwork, its just them asking it verbally, and no answer I give could possibly make them refuse my request.