OAP parents living with us Tax question

sue

sue said: OMG!!!!! no way

[:)]It is the french way and  I am used to it. The constant bleating in the UK about the state should take responsibility for old age care for everyone doesn't wear well with me at all.  I spent most of my adult life in France, lots of things have rubbed off.

Oh do not get me wrong. I do try my best not to moan about the French as its my choice that i moved here. However i do think i should of done a lot more research before we did and not rely on what my agent told me ( especially regarding how much heath cover was!!).

I also tell my anglish associates to stop moaning about the nhs/benifits that they get as they do not realise how lucky they are

I was talking to a French man recently who thought that in England if someone doesn't leave a will everything goes to the Queen, and that debts die with the person. I explained that debts only die with a person if they had died with no money or property. He told me that the father of a friend of his had taken out lots of loans prior to his death and that the friend was having to pay them off even though he hadn't signed as guarantor.

That is one thing i do not understand as surely the loan contract is made with the "dead person" not his children. I assume there is a somewhere in the original contract that the child would be left to pay of the debts but then the child should sign the agreement also. Luckily my parent do not and very much doubt they will have when they die, any debts ( excluding hospital and funeral etc)