Did anyone else experience the storm last night? (We're 18Km) south of Saint Lo.

Like a horror movie with the amount of thunder and lightening - and just about all the hanging baskets, tubs and window boxes have been flattened!

It amazes me how localised the storms round here can be. Last week some French people from Torigni (7kms away) were talking about the incredible storm they had experienced the previous Thursday, which apparently took the roof of Lidl in Saint Lo. We had heard a slight distant rumble of thunder in the afternoon, then nothing, not even a drop of rain!

Coco

Hi Coco -
we watched the light show - no thunder but the lightening flashes illuminated cloud formations above the hills - until midnight-ish and then woke intermittently through the night to hear thunder and torrential rain. One of our dogs was a gibbering wreck this morning though she's okay now. She's less than enchanted by Normandy anyway as she can't get her head around (literally) the electric fence we have keeping sheep out and, it appears, dogs in.

A very spectacular show around the Mortain / Juvigny area - but I can never wholeheartedly enjoy this sort of electrical storm - as a child, reading the Day of the Triffids had a longlasting effect on me!

Carole

Haven't seen the roof, or lack of, on Lidl yet here in St L. They're running the summer bus service, so unless I can do the shopping in under 3 minutes, there's no point in going.

The storm was good though; children slept straight through, cats freaked out. Especially the Siamese, but they're drama queens anyway!

Indeed! We're around 20k east of St Lo and we got the build up then around 19 minutes of rain (and the same again later in the night).
One of the farmers fearing the worst started harvesting the field over the road at 11.15 and only managed to get a couple of complete circuits with the combine before the rain came.

Dried out nicely now but we hope he'll wait until tomorrow rather than try again tonight!

The storm didn't get to us in Lisieux until about 3am, so we were rudely awoken - although both our dogs slept through it! It was spectacular.

Today, I was talking to someone in Wembley, who said they were being flooded out by torrential rain.

Le Havre had flash floods this afternoon, tho' there was nothing in Lisieux today... but the heat is building up again!

JudyM (14)

Please accept this wonderful gift from us down south; it should be with you shortly nudging by the speed the clouds moved. It hit us about 3:00am, the dog is still recovering (he hates thunder and lightning) and its still raining but then POH and crew will be here shortly and it always rains for the Brits when they come. Makes them feel at home.

Chris

http://www.chambresdhote.com