Yes, well I know it's a strange topic....but....I'm hoping to visit the municipal cemetery in Coulogne later this month and need to find a particular plot and make enquiries as to who is in it!! (I think my grandfather is buried there, but need to make sure).

Can anyone tell me if there are officials around if I just turn up at the cemetery? If no officials on duty, how else would I find the plot?

Linda

I suspect this varies wildly from place to place.

I assume we aren't talking about a military (WW1?) burial? If we are, and the grave is maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission their website is searchable and will give you a location.

If civilian, many graveyards have location (row and number) markers on the graves - often on the 'hem' (don't know the proper word) - the stone surround.

But having seen them in some places is unlikely to mean they are universal.

You may find someone tending the graveyard, but it will probably take several visits to coincide with them.

Mutts, How good is your French ? In the UK I found the right department through the town hall and after I had given some info such as name and approximate date of death was told the plot number of my relative and several other names and plot numbers relating to it.(and location as in 5 rows of graves forward, 6 tombstones left,then 2 right) This was for a very old and now not much used cemetary. I believe there are computer records for some of them.

I found the staff most helpful.

I should think you are likely to find the same sort of thing in France, but are less likely to coincide with any one in attendance.

Good Luck with your quest -

Hi there

No it's not a military cemetery, it's the municipal one in Coulogne, Pas de Calais. I found an Acte de Concession perpetuelle years ago which gives no. 749 - presumably the plot number. It's reserved for both grandparents and my great grandmother, but I only found it after burying grandmother in Paris!  We visited the grave (also years ago) and thought only my great grandmother was there, but recently I've looked at the Acte again and found a receipt dated 15/1/1965 attached to it, and as my grandfather died on 12/1/1965 I think he's got to be around there somewhere!

My French is almost non-existent. Unpracticed, but up to disc 6 Michel Thomas!

If you know how and where I could contact the authorities before my trip to France on Thursday, I'd be very grateful if know.

Best wishes

Linda

Hi there,

I would think that the mairie is the place to contact (I looked up the number for Coulogne and it's: 03 21 36 92 80). One of the people I work with here in France recently made an appointment with the mairie of the village where she was born in order to book a plot, to be sure that she was near her parents who died recently. If the mairie deals with this kind of situation, I'm pretty sure they must have a register of who's already in the cemetery!

Good luck.

Katie