I just wondered if anyone has had any experiences with nightclubs in deepest brittany. I'm a 20 year old uni student in Portsmouth and therefore have had the pleasure / mispleasure of sampling british nightlife. As I have family near Quimper and visit quite a few times a year I felt it was time for me a sample some of the nightlife (what did i let myself in for!). My first observation about this club the 'toul sable' is that it was in the middle of no-where - considering the strict penalties for drink driving in France is seems silly that there are so many of these clubs on road sides!

The club was like stepping back into the 70s - well how I imaginged the 70's to be(!) Lots of mirrors - rich colours and of course neon, the most 'interesting' addition was a rather nice piece of paintwork depicting a sea side scene - it just seemed very out of place!

I was surprised by the age range in there everyone from 16 - 70! (not that i'm complaining I'm a bit sick of my age group at the mo and its good to see the oldies misbehaving and dirty dancing!

The entry 'offer' was bizarre - 80 euros for 4 of us which included a litre bottle of whisky. This inevitably started taking it's toll...!

I was very impressed with my Aunt and Uncle for taking me - that would never happen in the UK. The atmosphere was so much more aimiable and relaxed - everyone was so laid back (and not just due to the bottles of whisky!). I can't help but think that Britain has got 'clubbing' so terribly wrong.

Has anyone else had any experiences of this...? I'm definately going to do it again in december!

Ollie

How refreshing to hear of late entertainment in the heart of the Breton Country. We have always presumed that life ended at 7.00pm in our locality unless we invited people to our house.

Night clubs have been frowned upon as dens of iniquity! with foam being sprayed everywhere!

Maybe if they have such a diverse age group maybe we ought to pay  a visit!

Be it on your head if we find ourselves the oldest dancing couple there!

I rather fancy this 70's nostalgia - athough we don't remember this mirror thing and neon light! We do have teenage memories of circulating mirror ball that reflected light

and the fantastic trendy music of the era

What you have described is correct. Breton discos and nightclubs cater for EVERYONE of all ages and are very sucessful. The reason why they are in the countryside is to keep the noise and trouble when there is any from town centres. My daughter goes when she is home and enjoys staying out till 6am along with the pensioners who go and the other youngsters. This is just another example of family life in France lost now in the UK where all seems trouble and drinking. However, there is trouble occassionaly, one only needs to read the local paper when the tribunal cases are reported to see how many fights have taken place in town clubs. Where the driving is concerned, the kids club together and take it in turns to be chauffeur.