Hi

My sister and I are going to be in Caen for a few days next month.  Can anyone suggest anything interesting that we should try to do. (We are going to meet builders for one of the days regarding a new house build).  We will have a car with us. I hear that there is a market in Caen on the Sunday. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks

Michelle

hi,

there's plenty to do around Caen. The castle has a  good arts museum, the abbeys are interesting and like mentioned before the Memorial is well worth the time to visit. There are also lots of D-Day sites to visit - Pegasus Bridge at Ranville etc.

I am a bit biased but Ouistreham and the coast is worth a visit altho' can be a bit blowy this time of year.

Hope you enjoy your time there

I can only support the info already supplied. The D Day memorials and sites are what I think most people associate with the area and I find them most interesting but they may not be everybodies idea of a "fun day". As a previous answer said Pegasus Bridge and Cafe is a must, if that is your thing, and Ouistreham is also my favourite port and worth a stop for lunch.

If my experience is anything to go by you might find your first day is taken up by finding your way out of Caen though.

Weedon

You could spend a few days in Caen just visiting the museums and historic buildings. But there are plenty of other things in the surrounding area. The D-Day beaches are a must, whatever the weather, the Arromanches 360 cinema is well worth seeing. If history and war is too much, there's always the Festyland theme park for young kids and Jurques Zoo for kids of all ages. Falaise isn't far away, well worth a trip to Automates Avenue, the chateau and the WW2 museum. The Suisse Normande is beautiful, and you're pretty close to cheese country. Also try to see the Pont de Normandie near Le Havre.