I love our bit of Normandy but I am sometimes sad that we miss out on some things that are quintessentially French, wine in particular. I would love to be in a community which celebrated the wine harvest and the nouveau vintage. As we are not there full time yet it is possible that we have missed a local fete de cidre or calvados but I am not aware of having heard of such an event. Do these things happen in an organised way or do you need to know the local farmer to get a private invite. Although I hate to think of the consequences of an organised cidre and calvados drinking session, and the ministry of health may have band such events in the interest of public wellbeing.

Diana

LOL! I have a bottle of cidre nouveau seething quietly in the kitchen at this moment. It arrives in a cristalle mineral water bottle and it took just a couple of hours for the ribs on the bottle to expand. Venting the bottle (otherwise known as carefully loosening the cap) seems to help. I suppose I'd better drink it.

I've not heard of any form of foire or festival. I know that there's a cooperative of sorts in Sourdeval where apples get pressed and (I believe) depending on your apple volume contribution you get allocated a liquid amount. I'm not sure how it works because my French got confused half way through the explanation. But no one said there was any form of get-to-gether celebrating the harvest.

Cidre nouveau is quite sweet, only slightly fizzy and very cloudy. A glass or two at night certainly gets one moving in the morning! (TMI?)

Carole

We had a cider apple tree and the other year we gave all the apples to a friend for him to make cider.  He gave us a load of the finished product and they all bloody blew up.  The room still bears the scars.

Calva needs quite some tme to mature.  The new stuff is well, awful!  Nearly blew my head off.  Talk about catching the back of your throat!

Next time you see the travelling still you must fake a breakdown and you might get invited to taste the brew.  Make sure you are driving an Express and are wearing wellies and a blue boilersuit.   Electric cars are often spotted abandoned close by too.....!

Now, if anyone wants a recipe for 44.....  Just time before New Year.  Just counted.  After New Year!

I'v got my jars of 44 festering away nicely to themselves in our garage in the UK, they will just be ready in time for Christmas. I suppose if your breakdown was due to running out of petrol a tank full of calva would get you home faster than 4 star.

Diana

Carole

I equlilant of one bottle of calva

1 orange

44 coffee beans

Method:

Piece the orange 44 times and stud it with the coffee beans.

Put studded orange in a kilner jar and full up with the calva.

Leave for 44 days.

It's then ready to drink, but proceed wtih caution.

I don't know the histroy of this drink or where the name came from (apart from th 44 beans)

Diana

My neighbour farmer is the one in the village for making Pommeau, Poire William, Prune and Calva. The last 3 seem to me to taste the same, sort of like a cross between petrol and thinners with a hint of fruit.  I have seen him on his travels towing his still behind his tractor, the still looks similar to Stephensons Rocket. The locals speak of him with extreme pride and who am I to argue when they say his stuff is "magnifique".  I went with my family once to his house for a tasting and came out after about an hour and a half later rosy cheeked having purchased a few bottles of each and it was still only 11 o'clock in the morning.

Weedon

I am new to this cidre business.

They were filling bottles at our local market last month. I asked the stallholder if it was jus de pommes? he replied it would be cidre in 2 or 3 days.

I bought some which was sold in a 2lt. plastic Evien water bottle.

We drank some after 3 days (sweet and tasty) and the rest exploded the following day!

Is this stuff alcoholic?

Any dangers from drinking unpasteurised fruit juice? 

Any advice would be welcome.

Quote:

<< Any dangers from drinking unpasteurised fruit juice? >>

Yes there are, Cabman.

An Evian cap in the eye can be very painful.

People just don't realise how lethal this stuff is. It's alive! For safer storage, use ex-fizzy mineral bottles because they're made stronger. Then always vent the bottles twice a day minimum.

If you're happy drinking the juice of rotting apples, worms, earth and anything else that's shovelled up and thrown into the macerator to be pressed, carry on. We're in our second year of doing so and it doesn't appear to have done us any harm. Of course, I haven't had an internal parasite check recently.

Carole