Well yes we finally made the move here to brittany a week before xmas with our 10, 7 and 3 year old children.  After many days of panicking about whether or not we were doing the right thing by our children we decided to sell up and move to what used to be our holiday home.  The children (at the moment) have settled brilliantly into french schools, public not private.  I appreciate this may possibly change in the future but at the moment we are living each day as it comes.  I transported my english horse here and have now bought a little pony off a french farmer who also sold me hay and straw, and also ushered us into his home to meet his wife and join them for coffee!  They were very nice and although my french isn't brilliant i managed to hold a conversation with them.  I am still have lessons in the language here to improve.  So its been about 6 weeks now and i know it isn't long and after several disasters (toilet blocking and having to use a bucket!)  we are still very pleased we made that move.  I've made several french friends and also have a few english friends here now.  So for all those thinking about doing the best thing go with your heart.  At the moment my children would no way want to move back to england.    You all gave us lots of advice before we left so THANKS to you all.

[quote]Good luck and enjoy, sometimes you just have to go for it.RegardsRay[/quote]

It's great to hear your good news.  I am sure many parents will take pleasure from reading that your ten year old is happy, as it is the older ones that usually take longer to settle - but I for one, am very pleased for you.  At least you have done your research on this forum.

Georgina

Thanks georgina.  Do you live in france?  My 10 year ols is actually finding it easier that my 7 year old and i think that is due to the fact that he is already a perfect reader and can read the french pretty easy.  We have no problem with him being held back a year if need be as the 8 to 11 year olds in his school are all in the same class so its not as if they aren't all mixed ages anyway.  I know we have a long way to go as they have to get through college yet but at least at the moment its a positive note and hopefully a bit of inspiration to others in the dilemma we were in. We were given more bad stories than good so i will definatley keep you posted as to whether its still good in a few months time!!!! Fingers crossed hey?