Decent restaurants - Carentan area?

Having endured one of the worst meals ever in Carentan last Friday night, has anyone got recommendations for restaurants in the Carentan area?  The Hotel is ok and I believe the Auberge is good but pricey but is there anything else?  I'm fed up with being served stuff that's a cross between school dinners and canteen fare and we eat out less and less.

Hi Lin

Have you tried the Estaminet at St Marie du Mont ? - we have had several excellent meals there.

The Auberge is under new ownership -we haven't tried it yet, but I have to agree, there aren't many brilliant restos in Carentan. We have lunch at the Bar du Centre quite often, but it's certainly not 'posh nosh'!! Where did you have your terrible meal?

Regards

Chris

PS I received your PM - can you let me have details of who we need to contact? Thanks!

Didn't know there were so many Poms around Carentan!

Can highly recommend La Maritza, 4 rue Torteron, down by Societe Generale.

Have the normal or special menu. The galettes for starters are very nice. Good, French food.

When we get into spring a couple of the restaurants on the coast road heading towards Cherbourg will be open and they are also worth trying.

Cheers Alan

I too despare at the lack of choice of good resturants in the area. We have eaten at the Estaminet at St Marie du Mont and would recommend it. In Sainte Mere we have the John Steele it is not expensive and the food very traditional, the downside is you can end up spending hours there waiting to be served. The Logis sainte Mere looks like an awful 1960's establishment from the outside and cater for the business and coach tour market but if you accept it for what it is you can have a reasonable meal for £10 - £15 per person.

When we first started inviting the French round for supper I thought they only accepted to be polite but as they keep coming back I now think it is because the cooking at chez nous is the best in the area and they know this Brit can cook their traditional dishes better than I dare say some of the French.

Diana

Try Le Grand Hard, go through St Marie du Mont towards Utah beach, approx 2 km before Utah turn left at small crossroads you will find the hotel / restuarant about 1km on r/h side. Yes the road does seem like a track.  It is Belgian owned and very well run.  Lunch time fixed price excellent value, enjoy.   Neil

Thank you all for the recommendations. We're going to the Maritza tonight and will try the others soon.  There is a restaurant in Cherbourg that I think is great, simple. limited choice but assured cooking and a good selections of wine by the glass. The proprietaire will suggest a glass of wine to go with the meal. I love it because it's so foody but not pretentious which is what I was hoping for in France but rarely find. The  only problem is I know where it is but not what it is called. Perhaps those of us in the Cotentin peninsula can find a way of storing restaurant recommendations.  I would agree that we can all probably cook better than a lot of the restaurants locally. My tartiflette is great and I got the recipe from the River Cottage cookbook. There is apparently a wonderful restaurant in Isigny but I'm waiting to find out the name from a French friend.

[quote]Thank you all for the recommendations. We're going to the Maritza tonight and will try the others soon. There is a restaurant in Cherbourg that I think is great, simple. limited choice but assured co...[/quote]

quote ** My tartiflette is great and I got the recipe from the River Cottage cookbook. **

I was looking for a tartiflette recipe recently and found Hugh F-W's version. But it's lacking the *vital* ingredient of a glass of white wine thrown over the completed dish before baking. It really takes the dish to a different level. I usually use a wine from Alsace - and a large glass! - but I think it's supposed to be a vin blanc de Savoie.

Yes, I saw on the Tartiflette cheese wrapper that white wine should be added but lacked the confidence to put it in.  Will do next time.  Love raclette as well when it's kept simple, new spuds, cheese, gherkins and good dry white wine.  Got a brilliant recipe for a leg of lamb marinaded for 2 days in red wine, though preferably the lees should be used and you make a fresh pineapple compote to go with it.  That's from a recipe book called the Meres of France, as in Mere Poulard and omlettes.  Making myself feel hungry.

'There is apparently a wonderful restaurant in Isigny but I'm waiting to find out the name from a French friend.'

Lin, I think you will find this is 'La Flambee' on the corner by the bridge...it has a wonderful atmosphere, they have a huge open log fire where they cook all the meat. I have only eaten there in the winter, not sure what they do in the summer! You have to book for Saturday nights. I would be interested to hear about the restaurant you will be eating at tonight.

Yep, that's the one, from the description I have.  I'll let you know about tonight but not before 1st March because I'm off to UK tomorrow and can't post on the Forum.  In England I will be mainly eating bought sandwiches and chill-cook microwaveable stuff that all tastes the same, whilst working a twelve hour day.  Poor me.

I forgot about the Flambee - it's very good!

'Harvey', whats the name of the restaurant that you go to in Grandcamp Maisy? and can you remember the name of the one upstairs above the Piazza place overlooking the harbour - that's really good too - the only trouble is that a lot of the restaurants close up over winter and are only just starting to think about opening up again.

Oh, and I forgot, there is a new Polish Auberge opened up in St Jean de Daye, if you fancy a change - went there for lunch and had a great fixed menu for around 8€ for 3 courses.

Regards

Chris

St Jean de Daye south of Carenten and north of Pont Hébert? My Heavens, things have changed in the last ten years! (I used to live in Le Dézert) and you couldn't even find a ham sandwich...Polish yet. I'd love to see the locals faces, pity I have no transport from St Lô!

.............mind you, if you go to the Polish restaurant, you are not likely to see any of the locals faces, I have yet to see one in there!! The owners have moved from Paris for a slower pace of life - if their current trade gets any slower they will soon be going backwards!! We are just keeping our fingers crossed that trade picks up for them as the weather improves.

Chris