Walls at the front of your house..

I suspect there will be many possible answers to this one.

Are there any general 'permitted' walls you can build in front of your house without planning permission? This relates to a wall around a terrace which is above a garage adjoining the main house (facing the road). If it helps, there is an existing 'wall' already in place (to about waist height, but it is intermittent & interspersed with lateral fence posts). I'm wondering if this could be interpreted as already 'there', and then replacing it entirely in render to a higher height. Already I can see an argument that the the minimum height should be at least 1m or so for safety normes?

I'm not ready to go to the Mairie just yet as I do not want to draw attention if what I want to do is entirely fine...

Many thanks..

You need to proceed with caution. In every commune where there is a PLU ('plan local d'urbanisme') a 'déclaration de cloture' must be addressed to the Mairie before any work begins. The height and type of enclosure is subject to local planning rules and, if applicable, the rules of the co-ownership (for example in the case of a 'lotissement').

Special rules apply to enclosures that border the public highway and to those separating a neighbouring property, for which the services of a land suverveyor ('géometre') may be required, to establish the precise boundary. 

It is inadvisable to start any work without the required permission as it could be dismantled if it is found to infringe any required conditions. It may seem a lot for a bit of fencing but better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps - P-D de R.

Well as it hasn't turned up I'll try to repeat what I said, adding a bit more detail :

The info you need is available on an easy to follow diagram which you find at

http://www.urbanisme.equipement.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/09._Fiche_cloture_cle22ce2e.pdf

Normally you wouldn't need any form of permission for a wall, but if you do it will be in the form of a Déclaration Préalable, not a 'déclaration de cloture' as advised by P-D de R, he's out of date. The planning system and all the forms were revised in 2007, with the new rules coming into force on 1st October 2007.

The former 11 different authorisations were reduced to four:

- déclaration préalable : for simple projects

- permis de construire : planning permission

- permis d’aménager : authorisation to develop

- permis de démolir : authorisation to demolish

Lots of info can be clicked on from http://www.urbanisme.equipement.gouv.fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=115

Without knowing the details of the situation I cannot tell the OP whether he needs to submit a 'Déclaration Préalable'. He needs to go to his Mairie to find out whether there are any restrictions applying to his house, eg proximity to historic buildings, site lying in a protected area and detailed local plan provisions.

There are no 'normes' in force concerning the height of any terrace walls/ balustrades on existing domestic property terraces. However, Article R*111-15 of the Code de la construction et de l'habitation states that for new properties (including extensions) walls or balustrades must be at least 1m high, or at least 0,80m if the wall/balustrade is more than 0,50m wide.

Hope that helps!

The only thing I think that PDR said that was not quite correct was that he mentioned an out-of-date form of declaration. Otherwise, he and Polly are both right. The code does include certain provisions, but it is local planning law that governs what can and cannot be done. It is essential in particular to ensure that any wall, fence or hedge bordering a public road meets local regulations regarding visibility splays etc. The important thing is to go to the mairie so you can find out what the rules are for your location and collect the right forms to fill in.