We passed a sign to The Holly Tree bar restaurant near St Sever yesterday.  The sign said that they did indian cuisine.  Has anyone been there yet and tried it?  If so, is it what you would call authentic indian cuisine, or like a pub curry?  I do miss my real Indian restaurant food from the UK but can cook as good a curry as the next, so wouldn't bother to eat out just to have someone else's homemade version.

I have never been myself, but the place is advertised a lot on another forum, one seemingly much beloved by those people who come to France, don't see the point of learning French, and spend all their time seeking out English things. I gather it is run along 'English pub' lines rather than a proper Indian restaurant, but probably somebody else knows better?

I've not been to the Holly Tree either... but I have a friend who has. Apparently there is a reasonable mix of French and British people, the people who run it are very pleasant and yes, the Indian food is quite good - in an English-authentic as opposed to an Indian-authentic way, if you see what she means. So if you're in need of Indian food, it's a reasonable gamble, I think.

The bar / restaurant I would never now visit on principle after reading the tone of the thinly disguised advertising on that 'other' forum, is just outside Avranches. The British clientele have wittily renamed the village - le Lout... it is actually le Luot. Bargepole...? I wouldn't touch it with yours, Will. [:P]

Have also been there twice and on the first occasion there was a gentleman behind the bar who worked in the immobilier in St Sever.  He was either the partner or the husband.  He is no longer there but still works in the immobilier.

Yes agree nice people but somewhat overun by stray cats.  Love cats have many of our own but not whilst one is eating.

Again the restaurant has been closed for some little time save for mornings when French conversational courses have taken place.  Think it is now open.  It is worth just a visit to see what you think.

Perhaps we have come to France for the French lifestyle?

However and whilst we would not go back the meal on the first occasion was ok on the second not so ok and we would not go back.

regards

Have been once, wont be repeated. Fully agree with comments about cats. I love cats ....but.

Food was nothing to write home about. Only went because we had read

about it on that other forum and we were at a 'loose end' at that time.

The bar at Le Luot seemed quite ok. only went once to try to get some

info.Cant remember the barman/owners name but the only other customers

when we arrived were local villagers, they seemed quite happy. No idea

how behaviour is if its full.

Regards

mmmmmmmm..............enough said.  English-Authentic as opposed to Indian-authentic, well, I think I do a pretty good job at that myself.  Cats.   I love cats too but I have a B&B/table d'hotes and am most particular about keeping ours away from our kitchen or eating area - not that I mind, but you never know how your guests feel about them - apart from the hygiene point of view.  I think we'll give it a miss.  Thanks for the comments which have saved me a wasted trip.

Just to add my twopence worth. We have eaten at the Holly Tree just the once .........won't be returning. The external first impression wasn't good - a row of Brit-registered 4-wheel drive fuel-guzzlers - ouch!! To be fair the owners were very welcoming, food was OK but as others have said, not true Indian, and too pricey for what it was. There were no French anywhere in site, we could have been in the county of Normandyshire........not what we want!