I have a second home a few miles away. I love the area.

What do you want to know about La Ferriere aux Etangs?

There is an attractive lake (hence the Etangs!) and the bakery is good! There also have a very large brocante /vide grenier market annually. They have won awards for the Christmas lights !

Bellou

It used to be a centre for ironworking (hence Ferrière) - you can still see the remains of mines around. The industry probably accounts for the lakes, too. I only mention it because a lot of people think we live there, but our much smaller, similarly named commune - also a former iron place - is 40km away in the next département. We used to live closer though and know it well. There are plenty of English around, most with holiday homes rather than permanent residents I think, but most of these are nearer to Domfront and the surrounding area.

We live 4.5 kms from La Ferriere, in Dompierre. La Ferriers is a bustling village, 2 bakers, 2 hairdressers, post office, chemist, small super market, newsagents, butchers, bars/restaurants, Engvlish speaking doctors,beautiful lakes, camping. Locals very friendly. Anything else you need to know?  Are you looking for holiday home or to move here permanently, as we have?

• 3 weeks later...