Floor Sander

I'm looking for an upright floor sander to hire in the north 87 area.  Does anyone either have one they would be willing to hire out or know a company who hire them out?  I'm going to phone around soon but I thought I'd try here first.

Sheila

[quote]I'm looking for an upright floor sander to hire in the north 87 area. Does anyone either have one they would be willing to hire out or know a company who hire them out? I'm going to phone around soo...[/quote]

Sheila.

We hired one from a firm called Locatoumat.  We are in the Charente Maritime but I think they have places all over France.  Anyway, I looked in pages jaune under Location de Material.  Hope this is of help.

Sue

Thanks for the replies so far.  There's a smallish Mr. Bricolage in Montmorillon which is closer to us than Limoges.  So I'll phone them and find out if they have sanders for hire.  I'll investigate the others too.  I doubt if they have branches in this area but its worth finding out.

Cheers,

Sheila

[quote]Just curious will you all be using lacquers, varnish, or oil on your floor boards after you've sanded them? Andrew[/quote]

We're going to use the satin finish varnish with Xylophene in it, called Xylo_vernis I think.  Its not too shiny.  We already soaked the floor in Xylophene when we first bought the house.  The floorboards are a bit rough but we like the rustic look, luckily.  They definitely need a good sanding though.

Sheila 

I offer an extract from an article which I have published last year for your information:

A recurring debate throughout the western world has centred on the use of petrochemical-based lacquers as a floor surface, particularly in domestic buildings. Of greatest concern are lacquers and varnishes, which use highly volatile solvents. Articles published by the US Environmental Protection Agency, US National Toxicology Program and other similar organisations have labelled these products as ‘known carcinogens’. This includes the chemicals stabilisers in solvents for lacquers and varnishes such as 1-4 dioxane, also trichloroethylene and xylenes, benzene and toluene. The result has been the banning of different forms of lacquers for use in the EU, a movement led by Germany; unfortunately Ireland is slow to catch-up.

These toxins are known to attack the central nervous system, the respiratory system, and the heart, liver, kidneys, blood and skin (Source: Pacific Toxicology Laboratories 2003). The effects are most dangerous for the applicator but also for anyone else who inhales the fumes or intakes these substances through physical contact. In some cases the worker does not suffer the greatest effects; it is the unborn child of the lacquer worker following the onset of neuroblastoma – a quick growing cancer affecting the nerve tissues of infants. This malignant cancer stems from sperm damaged by chemical exposure, which then affects the foetus and developing child.

Many companies offering coating and floor treatments containing hardeners which as listed class 1 carcinogens. These are especially virulent for children who spend a lot time at floor level. These treatments continue to emit particulate throughout their life.

Andrew

Interesting info Hendo, I use alot of Danish oil except on surfaces where food is to be prepared then I use Tung. It's not the fastest of processes but the finish is very much more natural than the varnish/acrylic type products that are readily available.

Start with two or three coats of thinned oil, 50:50 to white spirit or turpentine, matted down in between with wire wool and then one or two coats of neat oil, the residue being wiped off.

Tung oil has a different drying rate to Danish and requires more time between coats,

You'll have to get Danish oil in any quantity outside of France, the cost here is prohibitive.

Chris