Tax Bill Before Declaration?

CSV

Hi

We've just received an email directing us to impots.gov for a tax bill on revenue for 2014

Going onto the site in my account I find;

Année    Impôt                                                        Modes de paiement    Total dû    Total réglé    Reste à payer

2014    Impôt 2014 sur les revenus de 2013

So, we are now paying taxes before we declare our income?

Anyone know anything about this - before I go into the local tax office and make an idiot of myself?

Does this explain it?

http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/dgi/public/popup;jsessionid=2RI2SNKOWM5IVQFIEIPSFEY?espId=1&typePage=cpr02&docOid=documentstandard_6217

They ask for stage payments. But it's not on revenue for 2014, it's taxes payable in 2014 for income earned in 2013, ie the income you are declaring round about now.

As I understand it they now lump your tax together with CSG contributions. If this exceeds the threshold you will pay three instalments based on last year's bill through the year. The last instalment will be adjusted to reflect what is due from your submission that you are doing now or in the next few weeks.

[quote user="Kong"]As I understand it they now lump your tax together with CSG contributions. If this exceeds the threshold you will pay three instalments based on last year's bill through the year. The last instalment will be adjusted to reflect what is due from your submission that you are doing now or in the next few weeks.[/quote]

That seems to make sense considering the amount they are asking for. I don't suppose you have a link to the new system?

[quote user="EuroTrash"]Does this explain it?

http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/dgi/public/popup;jsessionid=2RI2SNKOWM5IVQFIEIPSFEY?espId=1&typePage=cpr02&docOid=documentstandard_6217

They ask for stage payments. But it's not on revenue for 2014, it's taxes payable in 2014 for income earned in 2013, ie the income you are declaring round about now.[/quote]

yes, it does - thanks

The bit that's new is the lumping together of the impots and CSG. The three part payment (or you can elect to pay monthly) has always been there. I'm afraid I don't have a link - I find a lot of info on the forums. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will come along soon.

Just the same in the UK for those of us who pay self assessement, one starts paying based on the previous tax return.

In France one has a choice, either pay a monthly prelevement based on the previous declaration, or in three payments, for those doing things low tec that would be, February, May and September to sort out the balance. These dates for payments do vary as there are many options as to how people pay these days, but the basic ones are the ones I have mentioned. 

Here is the calender for all payments

http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/dgi/public/calendrier.popup;jsessionid=DRAYWRIWVROLNQFIEIPSFFA?pageId=part_cal_gene&espId=1&sfid=110&currentDate=201404&popupPageId=echeanceList&action=popupListEcheanceOfYear

and if you circumstances change dramatically (as did mine) you can go to the Hotel des Impots and they will calculate your new liability and you can pay just that.  However, any underpayment will be subsequently charged at (IIRC) 10%.