Tiler / roofer in Haute Vienne ...

.... can anybody recommend one?

The chap I come and visit turned up three days late, and launched into how I must have the entire roof ripped off replaced with cheap nasty red machine made tiles (the curvy type)... I want to have the holes repaired and keep the lovely aged grey slates that are in perfect condition!

Any recommendations will be hugely welcome.

Thanks

We are too far away to recommend a roofer but can comment on the solution.

One of the many roofers I have seen offered the metal tiles due to the slope (pente) on our roof. I suspected that they would be unacceptable so he also suggested an underlayer of large fibro-cement panels (sous-tuiles) and then replacing tiles on top for appearances only.

I hope that looks oK in the end because that is the solution our co-prop may eventually implement .

As long as the existing slates are sound and don’t just look it (a lot of the time with slate it’s the head of the slate ,the bit you don’t see when on the roof)that is shot

Then you can take out any damaged slates individually and replace them as well as patch  big holes .

You need to ask for a quote for just replacing /making good .

And ask as many tilers as you can get to come around .

Yes - whereabouts are you?  Roofers certainly do not all want to replace slates.  We, and all but one of our neighbours had our block of 5 properties re-roofed this spring by the roofer in our commune.  He seems to have done an excellent job and only used new slates where absolutely necessary.  The good old slates were reused (we had to have new batons, etc. as well).

Best wishes

Julia

look up J Philippe Duprat, La Croix Latée 87130 in www.pagesjaune.fr

You can't have him just now though as he's on my roof! Well recommended by the locals, but consequently rather busy....

No complaints so far - knows what he's doing, his maths is better than ours, tidy, reliable - what more can I say!!

hoverfrog

• 3 weeks later...

If you are in the north of the department try Jean-Luc Hillaire in Lussac les Eglises.  He renewed our slates last year, an excellent job. He was very honest and said that the existing slates would last another 2/3 years without leaking but were beginning to deteriorate so we went ahead and had the job done.  He was very prompt in giving an estimate and the work was done very quickly.  I got some strange looks from the workmen when I made them coffee on the first morning, it appears that they are not used to this and they worked through without a break after that!

Mary D.

our builders were not used to being made coffee either - worked through every day without a break (or even a comfort break as far as we could make out!)

Our slates were watertight until the hail in June pierced the zinc flashing and some slates causing tap-like leaks, and the rest of the slates were on their last legs according to the builder. They only kept approx 12 from the whole of the roof - the rest went to the tip in pieces. Yes, the 12 were new after the 1999 storms!

I found the bill for the old slates in the attic of our 'dependence', and sure eenough they were almost 100 years old (and consequently past-it!) They start to split into horizontal layers especially around the nail hole. One large hailstone and it's history!

I must admit I prefer the tuiles mechaniques - for our house anyway! Not only were they much cheaper, but when it rains we can no longer hear it throughout the house, and the whole roof seems more solid.

now if only we could get the chap to install the woodburner before we freeze to death...

hoverfrog