permanent move to creuse with kids

I know of many brits who have moved over with children from 7-11 year olds in and around the creuse area and they have all settled in really well and speak fluent french within a very short space of time, I've spoken to the kids in great length about why they don't want to go back to england and rest assured france is where they want to be. One problem they do find is that their english grammer and reading falls short so i'd bring some gcse or good study books with you.

Quite a few brits who have stayed at our campsite over the last 5 years have brought their kids, largest family was 4 offspring ranging from 3 years to 15 years who have settled well, the oldest now is training as an electrician, the next youngest now goes to a building training school and the two youngest are now at school and converse between themselves in french. Without exception, the families with children that we know say it is the best thing they could have done for their youngsters.

our 13 year old spent a year at our local college, when she started she was full of enthusiasm, within several months she was miserable. We encouraged her to last the year out, we were glad that we hadn't upped sticks and moved permanently, as for her it would have been a disaster. She has told me since that she was desparatly unhappy. Here in the UK she is a predicted straight A GCSE pupil with a fanatstic attitude to school. In France every report the teachers sent reflected the fact that they thought she would not try at all and had a bad attitude which we know not to be the case, she was isolated, lonely and in many lessons ignored. I do think if she had been a few years younger she would have managed to learn something but we felt that we could not jeoperdise her education by staying in France (which is what we as parents would have preferred) we will wait until she has completed her education and make our move then.

[quote]our 13 year old spent a year at our local college, when she started she was full of enthusiasm, within several months she was miserable. We encouraged her to last the year out, we were glad that we ha...[/quote]

Many thanks for the various opinions. We are still very much undecided.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We did it 2 years ago our children we then aged 9, 6 and 8 months.  The children settled in extremely well in fact we had less problems with them going to school here than in UK my eldest started college this September with no problems.  We have found that most schools have had at least  1 english pupil in the school at some point and quite often provide extra french lessons.  I have kept this reply brief as quite often people who post positive replies on this site are slated for apparently wearing 'rose tinted specs'!!! This we deffinately dont do!! If you would like more in depth info feel free to pm me.

Hi

Well said Benson, we moved last Oct with 3 kids 11,7, and 4,(another 2 still in Ecosse 10 and 8 and now another one due in Feb) first few weeks hard but they have not looked back since are happier here than in Ecosse as are we. Please feel free to conntact us if you like,

Graham

• 4 months later...
Hi, We moved here 15 months ago with our three kids 9,7,4 and they all love it here. They go to an all french school and they love it but it has been hard at times for them but now they would not change a thing. After about 9 months they all seemed to grasp their french and are doing just as well as their other class mates. The school provided french lessons for a year and have been so helpful. If you need any advice just ask.

Lisa - lisahaircreuse.com