weddings in France

Hi There,

My wife and I got married in France last year, and although there is a fair amount of paperwork involved it wasnt too bad. The biggest issue will be that your friend would need to be resident in France to actually get married here. I think you will find that fairly inflexible too.

However, there is an option. Some very good friends of ours married in the Loire valley 3 years ago, basically what they did was to have the legal civil ceremony in the UK, then came over to France and had a blessing in the Chateau's chapel with an expat C of E minister and then had a great reception at the Chateau.

The only Chateau in the area that we know has a chapel for a blessing, would be Chateau Montbrun near Cussac. Stunning setting and Ok if you are looking to invite less than 60 people. Local caterers are fantastic and I would gladly recommend the company we used from Limoges.

Hope that helps.

T & L.

• 4 months later...

Hi There,

My wife and I got married in France last year (Haute Vienne, Limousin) Just PM me if you want any advice as it is a little daunting but do-able (sic).

The other posters are correct, you have to get married in your local Mairie and thereafter can have a blessing elsewhere. I know Chateau Montbrun near Chalus has a lovely chapel for wedding blessings and we used Chateau de Brie which doesnt have the chapel but has a fantastic reception room.

Hope thats some help.