Looking for blacksmith for tie bars

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. We need to put in tie bars to help support the A frames of our roof. We have been told that a blacksmith in Chateauponsac used to do them but he is no longer there. Does anyone know of anyone else who can do this please? We live in the north of 87.

Many thanks

Hi Dick,

To be honest I don't know , do they do a different job or is it just the look at them? - they don't have to be ornate or fancy. I just want to find the simplest method to do the job. The reason we need something is because we are taking away the middle section of two main beams which help support the A frame. They are supported elsewhere on the top of the stone walls and we have been advised that the tie bars will just be a precaution as they ahould already be supported well enough.

If we can use the steel rods where would we find these? I can't find what they're called in french.[8-)]

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="flower"]

Hi Dick,

. The reason we need something is because we are taking away the middle section of two main beams which help support the A frame. They are supported elsewhere on the top of the stone walls and we have been advised that the tie bars will just be a precaution as they ahould already be supported well enough.

If we can use the steel rods where would we find these? I can't find what they're called in french.[8-)]

Many thanks.

[/quote] Sounds ify to me,If your cutting these out yourself I would deifinately seek advise beforhand, if your paying an artisan, then assuming he is qualifed in this field, he should know what extra strengthening will be required and where to buy it.

Flower,

It sounds (could be mistaken) as if you intend to remove the lower horizontal part of an A frame structure. The purpose of this beam is to stop the legs of the A splaying out. The support from the stone walls is for vertical load, not horizontal stress. If my comment is correct, or even close, you really do need a structures guy to advise you, unless you have full confidence in your artisan.

Thank you all for the recent replies, sorry for the delay in responding - had a few 'technical difficulties' (yet again!!). Will try our local builders merchants this week and if not will try the guy in Lussac as he is really close to us.

Thank you again, you're all wonderful. [:D]