Overpaid CSG

yalaki

I was wondering if it is possible to reclaim overpaid CSG, preferably in the form of credit against CSG I owe.

In short, CSG and CRDS have been deducted from my pay, despite the double taxation treaty stipulating that I should not pay these taxes (the University I work at didn't believe me/couldn't be bothered to do anything about it).

I owe CSG on my UK dividends and capital gains. Does anyone know if there is any way to count the CSG I have paid already through my salary towards the CSG I owe?

(I have asked this at the centre des impots but only now do I realise the answer they gave me was not the right one...)

Are you talking about paid employment at an overseas university or a French one? On what basis shouldn't you pay these deductions? But if you shouldn't, you are clearly due a refund - though it may take a while to process, so it depends when the deadline is for paying the CSG that you do owe. I don't imagine they would accept an anticipated refund in payment of a bill due now, and they're very prompt in slapping late payment fines on if it remains unpaid a day beyond the deadline.

Thanks for the reply. I imagine I will have to pay the CSG due on my other income and later claim a refund.

In answer to your question - I work at a french university and the double taxation treaty stipulates that I should pay UK tax on my salary, not French tax, where "French tax" includes CSG and CRDS.

So ironically I am paying UK tax on my French income and French tax on my UK income... c'est bizarre, non ?

[quote user="yalaki"]Thanks for the reply. I imagine I will have to pay the CSG due on my other income and later claim a refund.

In answer to your question - I work at a french university and the double taxation treaty stipulates that I should pay UK tax on my salary, not French tax, where "French tax" includes CSG and CRDS.

So ironically I am paying UK tax on my French income and French tax on my UK income... c'est bizarre, non ?

[/quote]

Hi,

I assume that you are paying UK NI ,and have a "workers" S1 for health cover - if not then you will have to pay these contributions - or get an S1.

If you have an S1 ,wait until you get your next french "avis" , then make a demand for refund of the CSG taken at source quoting the "Convention International" of 2008 , articles 2,  15. 2 (b),  and 24.   with proof of UK tax paid and of CSG taken from salary and a copy of the S1.   Any other documentary evidence of your employment conditions should also be  sent.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I will be able to reclaim CSG paid in 2013 & 2014 at the same time, or will I have to wait until 2015 to reclaim the CSG from 2014?

Is there an official form to claim a refund- I haven't been able to find one - or will it be a case of writing a letter? (To make things more fun I will have moved to the states by the time I receive the avis...).

[My situation isn't quite as you say - the double taxation treaty says that researchers and teachers moving from the UK to France for less than 2 years, as is my case, should only pay UK taxes on their salary, and not French taxes (where "French taxes" is as defined in article 2, including CSG and CRDS). All my other income is taxable in France and I will pay CSG and CRDS on it. It does surprise me that NI is not mentioned in the treaty.]

I have a friend who will know the answer to this, but they are on holiday at the moment. I'll try and remember to ask them.

I really did think that if one is paying social security payments in France and you have not said you are not, then you will have to pay CSG etc, these payments after all, are to help fill the black hole in the social security budget in France. Prior to the CSG etc, the social security payments were far higher.

[quote user="yalaki"]Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I will be able to reclaim CSG paid in 2013 & 2014 at the same time, or will I have to wait until 2015 to reclaim the CSG from 2014?

Is there an official form to claim a refund- I haven't been able to find one - or will it be a case of writing a letter? (To make things more fun I will have moved to the states by the time I receive the avis...).

[My situation isn't quite as you say - the double taxation treaty says that researchers and teachers moving from the UK to France for less than 2 years, as is my case, should only pay UK taxes on their salary, and not French taxes (where "French taxes" is as defined in article 2, including CSG and CRDS). All my other income is taxable in France and I will pay CSG and CRDS on it. It does surprise me that NI is not mentioned in the treaty.]

[/quote]

Hi,

You haven't answered my question about NI and form S1.   Without the S1 it is quite correct that CSG etc. should be deducted to pay for your health cover, (unless you have a full private insurance).