TV in France

We have just installed a French TV set in our holiday home in 17.  Do any of you wise people know if an English VCR (& or DVD) player will work with the french set?  We are thinking of buying a VCR from Asda for the princely sum of £39.97 to take down with us when we go in November & I want to record my fav progs (eg Corrie etc) to watch while I am there!  Sorry if this has been a topic before but I have just plucked up the courage to join the forum, having been a keen reader for some time!

Thanks Kathy

Our hardware had always behaved fine with each other, the most irritating thing was that french tapes had no colour ( or were orange & black) and, par contre, our UK tapes won't work in french vcrs. All to do with PAL and SECAM and different vcr standards.

So we bought a Samsung from Conforama and were assured it would read all types of tapes. And it does! You bung a tape in and the clever machine figures out whether its UK, US, French or Mongolian and plays the blessed thing.

Cool, so now our kids can swap vids with their friends, we get to watch Lilo & Stitch etc in French and they get to watch Bob the Builder in English.

Stew