Cheapest International Phone Calls

How can it be SKYPE if you can use your phone in the garden as the ad claims?  This is a phone adaptation system, maybe it uses the same principles as SKYPE but you use your phone as normal for it and are not tied to your PC as you are with SKYPE, or am I being misled?

[quote]A very, very long way around the houses to arrive at skype.[/quote]

I stumbled across this site about two weeks ago & in response to its a very, very long way around the houses it might be for people who know about this system, but for people like me (tecnophobic) i found the step by step guide very useful i bought a modem from the recommended shop & it works a treat (sorry teleconnect) the sound quality is just as good as a normal landline but not the landline price. 

I am not technically qualified in this field but it sounds as if purchasing the adaptor makes your own telephone think it's a USB handset which could be quite useful if you own handset is also cordless as you aren't then tied to the computer when making calls via Skype (as I think someone else has already pointed out). The downside seems to be keying in * at the start of the call, so should you decide to use another VOIP service is it still possible to use the adaptor that you have just purchased?

Benjamin

Ron,

The idea is that you buy a box from the site mentioned and it allows you to use a “portable” phone system for voip.

I use a box from www.boxtoo.com in conjunction with my Freebox to give me voip out through 6 Dect handsets and FT in through the same handsets plus a fixed phone. The Boxtoo device works well and it may be that this box is good too, unfortunately their site does not give as much detail as the Boxtoo site and it is difficult to compare or to make a buying decision. Their box is slightly less expensive than the Boxtoo unit.

Now, Skype is system that works well for a lot of people and the adaptor box being promoted looks as if it could be very useful (unfortunately the detail on the website is sparse).

Taking a closer look at the postings I find that:

Jim Nicholas makes his first ever posting stating “I built a simple website” and “I did this as a hobby and make absolutely no money from it nor do I have any involvement in any of the companies I mention, it is purely a personal site”

The website is www.callhome4less.com

1hr 36m later Dan Golding posts to say that he has used this site and how good it is, stating “My mate told me about this site a couple of weeks ago”.

Following my comment markinfrance has been inspired to make his first ever posting endorsing the system stating he “stumbled across this site about two weeks ago”. Which may well be the case.

The web site tells you to buy an adaptor from www.expatcomputersales.com

What I do find interesting is that:

An internet search shows that the administrative contact at www.callhome4less.com and www.expatsales.com is Dan Golding!

[quote]Now, Skype is system that works well for a lot of people and the adaptor box being promoted looks as if it could be very useful (unfortunately the detail on the website is sparse). Taking a closer loo...[/quote]

Les,

I think Admin and the Mods (Mmmm, nice name for a pop group) have been a bit slow off the mark (no not the one "infrance") on this one