Requirement for a Medical

Deimos

One thing I have learnt since living in France is that to do pretty well anything you need a medical first. Yesterday I needed to go along for another one and it struck me then that in some respects it does make sense. If you are going to do something that requires physical exertion then having a medical first seems a good idea. Although not necessary in the UK, in France to fly you need a medical, to sail a boat (regattas anyway) you need a medical, even to go roller skating you need a medical certificate. However, they do seem to have missed one activity. If done right it can be very physical and although as some people get older they tend to do it less often, I'm sure it must represent at least the same risks as many other activities.

Are there or should there be any plans to introduce a medical for this activity (married couples only or singles as well ?). How might it be controlled and what would happen to people enjoying such a pastime without a medical certificate ? Would the role of the gendarmes be broadened to ....

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Problems with the memory sometimes make for interesting conversations.

An elderly couple living in France are both having problems remembering things.
They decide to go to the doctor for a checkup. The doctor tells them that
they're physically OK but they might want to start writing things down to
help them remember things just in case...

Later that night, while watching TV, the old man gets up from his chair. His wife asks, "Where are you going?"

"To the kitchen" he replies.

"Will you get me a bowl of ice cream, Dear?"

"Sure."

"Don't you think you should write it down to remember it?" she asks.

"No, I can remember it."

"Fine, I'd like some strawberries on top, too. You'd better write it down because you know you'll forget it."

"I can remember that! You want a bowl of ice cream with strawberries."

"I'd also like whipped cream. I'm certain you'll forget that, so you'd better write it down!" she retorts.

Irritated, he replies "I don't need to write it down, I can remember it! Leave me alone! Ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream - I got it, for goodness sake!" Off he goes to the kitchen grumbling.

About 20 minutes later the old man returns and hands his wife a plate of bacon and eggs. She stares at the plate for a moment and says  "Where's my toast?" 

• 1 month later...