Inheritance in UK, taxed in France?

soupagirl

I'd be grateful for some advice. My mother (UK resident) died in July this year and her estate will be divided between my sister (UK) and myself (French resident) . The total estate is way, way beneath the £350,000 UK inheritance tax threshold.

I need to know what to do as regards French tax regulations, I've tried to search the internet but can't find anything relevant to the situation. Will I be liable for French inheritance tax on my share of the estate, and have to make a separate declaration for the impots ,or will it be a case of declaring the interest from my UK bank account (where the funds will be transferred) as normal on my French tax return next year?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help.

I may stand corrected but my interpretation is that you'll not pay inheritance tax in France on a UK estate but you should include your inheritance as part of your income in your French tax return for 2014. You'll then get taxed accordingly on that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....

[quote user="lindal1000"]No need to declare it..the estate is taxed in the UK and of no interest to the French tax authorities, although you will have to declare any interest that you earn from any capital.[/quote]

Hi,

Here is a link to the relevant treaty supporting the above;  see article V in particular  .

No need to inform any french authority of the inheritance.

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1963/1319/schedules/made