Switching banks & closing old accounts

Daft Doctor

Hi, although I do 95% of my banking online, I have to send any cheques I receive to Paris for cashing, hardly convenient. We've been with Axabanque for 8 years in total but would prefer now to switch to a bank with a local branch rather than a 100% internet banking operation.

It seems straightforward enough to switch banks either online or with a single visit to the local branch of the new bank, with a similar service switching direct debits, etc from old to new as that offered in the UK.

The difference in all of it is that whereas in the UK you can have almost as many current accounts with any number of banks you like because it is free, in France it is a relatively costly business, so the switch of banks will necessitate closing down of all accounts at the old bank once the new arrangements / accounts / cards are in place. Does anyone know how easy it is to permanently close bank accounts and to end the banking relationship once and for all? I want to avoid dual charges as far as possible. Any pearls of wisdom or recounting of experiences much appreciated.

Having been with Banque Populaire for a very happy and fruitful 10 years, during which time I learnt lots from the well-informed agency staff I am now seriously considering moving to another Bank. This is because BP have got rid of the permanent, knowledgeable reception person and now make the onsite advisors fulfill the role in an here-at-reception-one-minute and in-my-office-the-next fashion. The whole place is closed down with 'grilles' in the afternoon unless you have made a previously made appointment. Taking into account BP's high charges I am less than happy.

After research I still want a Bank I can visit in person so I am going to talk to LCL, who have a branch in our local, nearby town (very close).

Sue

Sue that was the reason we left the BP, the helpful staff left to be replaced by ....... well, no one I would trust to do business with.

In the olde days one had to pay to close an account, and as my sentiment was that they could 'get lost' and they weren't getting the 40€ odd euros, I prefered to cancel cards and just leave the equivalent of about £ in the account to keep it open.

[quote user="idun"]In the olde days one had to pay to close an account, and as my sentiment was that they could 'get lost' and they weren't getting the 40€ odd euros, I prefered to cancel cards and just leave the equivalent of about £ in the account to keep it open. [/quote]

Fortunately this is no longer the case and closing an account is now free. I do remember your past discourse about Banq Pop which, at the time, I found hard to believe as ours was still brilliant at that time. But then, gradually, the established and appreciated team at our local Branch were sent elsewhere and young raw recruits were sent in along with the present-day limited access. Limited access as in I can no longer wander in at any time and ask smthg and get a knowledgeable reply straight away.

So I am walking away. It is really a shame as the branch was remarkable and I recommended it to those in search of a sound Bank. Now I am hesitatant and will leave when I find something better.

I have tried LaBanquePostale, which is fine in some aspects but decidedly lacking in others so there is no way I would consider it for a main Bank in France.

Sue

Edit : I have to add that I am a genuine internet banker; I do everything I possibly can online here in France. But, and it is a fairly large but, I was ignorant of Investment possibilities here when we arrived in 2005 and the BP advisors around at the time helped me to understand the Investments which might be appropriate to me. Which is why I am so disappointed with the  bank's present stance as this level of advice is no longer available locally,well not as far as I am concerned.