UK Tax return

Hereford

We have just done our 2014/15 UK tax returns online (we still have to file them as well as a French one). The previous problem with needing a UK postcode seems to have disappeared. Our file showed our correct French address, with postcode in an address line, and the box for a UK postcode is not now mandatory so we ignored it.

Now we just wait for the repayment!!

Mrs H.

[quote user="Hereford"]We have just done our 2014/15 UK tax returns online (we still have to file them as well as a French one). The previous problem with needing a UK postcode seems to have disappeared. Our file showed our correct French address, with postcode in an address line, and the box for a UK postcode is not now mandatory so we ignored it.

Now we just wait for the repayment!!

Mrs H.

[/quote]

If only I could get our tax deduction certificates that fast!

B

All we are doing is getting repayment of tax deducted from bank interest as the banks do not accept the inland revenue form to pay it gross to those who live outside the UK. Therefore (Patf) we do it immediately the tax year ends! We don't have to wait for any certificates as we can see the gross and tax deducted via online banking.

There is usually a final panic in January and a big risk of the website going down so we would never leave it that late.

Thanks Hereford. With property rental income paid under the NRL scheme we have to file a paper SA and HS304 return. We have online accounts paying interest but some only show the interest nett of tax, hence we previously waited until we received Tax Deduction Certificates. Do you think that it is accurate enough for HMRC to take the nett interest and multiply by 0.25 to get the tax deducted? This would enable us to file now.

Thanks for any guidance.

B

If you file online you only enter the net amount of taxed interest - the program works out the tax later (often the pennies are different!).

We have rental income too but it is under our joint tax allowances so although we enter it it makes no difference to the tax refund.

I have no idea whether one can register to file online once you only have a French address.

The program actually says you cannot use it if living abroad but I and others on this forum have spoken to tax office staff who say "yes you can"...  They also told us to put either a pretend post code or an old one (in previous years when it was needed) so as to bypass the question.  We used to put our rental property postcode. That is why I started this thread as this year it is not needed.

Many thanks for that. Am afraid our joint tax allowances do not cover our rental income – we were more than a bit pleased that they decided to leave PA in place for non-residents until at least 2018. Will give it go this year on line – we both have UTR’s and on line accounts with the tax office.

Am treading a bit warily with the tax office. They got very excited a few years ago when they discovered that I had not indicated a SIPP in drawdown from which I was not drawing down (having taken the tfc before becoming resident here) on the Form France-Individual. They removed the NT coding and insisted I complete an HS304 in future which seems to be not possible on line; certainly using TaxCalc it doesn’t seem available.