Orchestras

Gardian

May I start by saying that my knowledge of classical music is limited - like many of us, I recognise most of the popular pieces and enjoy them.  'Classic FM' is on for for a fair part of the day, and one's interest broadens as time goes by.

My fascination is with the orchestras. I read something last week about how Simon Rattle was under fire in Germany over having (as they saw it) "corrupted the style of the Berlin Philarmonic" (I paraphrase somewhat, but that was the gist of it).

Can someone give an insight to the style of the various major worldwide orchestras?  Presumably the makeup of instruments (and thus the sound) varies significantly?   Crucially, the conductor imparts his or her (but you don't see many female conductors, do you - why not?) approach to any particular piece.

In summary, there must be some of you out there who really understand.  Some pointers would be appreciated.          

There's always a degree of conflict between the conductors and the 'old fart' brigade. The conductor's basic role is to interpret the music of the composers. In the case of modern music then the composer can record his or her (few female composers either) definitive interpretation, which rather sets things in stone. The older pieces are a different story, however. Conductors are always trying to create the next definitive version of a particular piece. Conductors like Rattle are progressive, so their versions can be radically different from the last 'definitive' version. So the old guard will not look on them too favourably - the 'shock of the new'.

When one looks at works from two or three hundred years ago it becomes very difficult indeed to establish a definitive version. Instruments were different, and it has been shown that a piece played entirely on old (or replica) instruments in an old orchestral line-up sounds rather strange to more modern ears. So the 'norm' is probably an interpretation from 30years or so back, rather than 300 years.

Although I enjoy listening to Classic FM, and often do so, it can be rather formulaic and, with a limited playlist, doesn't really advance the cause of classical music too much beyond the standard repertoire of 'popular' pieces and arrangements.

Anyway, I'm not an expert, though I've enjoyed classical music since having a good grounding many years back at school, and that's just my personal view. Plenty of people will have greater knowledge.

There's concert on at the moment - Performance channel -  with Rattle conductiong the Berlin Philarmonic - not sure what the music is but it sounds a bit plodding and there are hardly any women in the orchestra. Not long ago this orchestra was all male. So as will says, the BPO are perhaps of the "old guard" but beginning to loosen up a bit. Pat.

hi ian no pun intended but i posted an item on another forum about french horns being an endangered instrument .i have played one, hellish difficult to pitch as i noticed the other day concert by the chicago symphony orchestra!anyway on your point about orchestras i am a playing musician i used to play violin but the main strength in my opinion of the berlin phil is its magnificent string section ,the whole orchestra was g reat under claudio abbado but simon rattle too progressive for most people ive spoken to .and thats a shame because the berlin phil vote on ,and pick ,there conductor.i think it was because rattle looks a bit like a young beethoven!!on orchestras of the world there is a thing called a diffinitive performance and the chicago symphony is there,also amsterdam ,phily ,vienna phil ,by diffinitive i mean the audience loved the tempi,marks of expression,soloist on top form etc ,and if these performances are recorded they will stand forever and become a benchmark for others.huge subject this but love it .KEEP MUSIC LIVE !GUEPE

Guepe ..........

Thanks for your interesting reply.

When you say of the (Berlin Philarmonic) "A magnificent string section", is it the sheer number of musicians, or their individual (and presumably therefore) their combined 'power', or the blend of violins / violas / cellos / bass? Or maybe a combination of all three?

Any suggestions from you or anyone else on where I might be able to educate myself either through a book or on the net?

hi ian what i meant about the string section of the berlin phil is,especially the first violins ,there intonation is spot on including very difficult section peices like  strauss' don juan,some stravinsky,of course any, believe it or not slowish precision music like handal bach .nigel kennedy said when recording the vivaldi seasons " that hear we have 71 of the worlds finest muscians at the top of there profession in one place and its an honour to play with them " im a fan of course .with listening to classicical music me personally ,i like what ihear ,and hear what i like so its anything really that i consider tuneful .i was listening to wagners der meistersingers today and the tempo of the coda was allmost a dirge ,and was supprised to learn that it was the chicago symph with sir george solti ,but then he gets a bit profound sometimes ! all the best guepe