Ramadan

powerdesal

The thing when I was working in Holland was many years ago (must be 30 odd years ago now !!). I'm sure things have changed since then.

Certainly, tensions used to be high and several people got beaten up with crow-bars during the couple of months I was there - which I was told was only normal during Ramadan

Ian

[quote user="powerdesal"]The muslims I really feel sorry for are the labourers who still have to work outside in the hot sun and cannot have anything to drink. That situation gets worse, or will get worse for the next few years as ramadan starts earlier each year by about 15 days, thus in a few years it ill be in the middle of summer when temperatures are 45+ in the shade (assuming you can find shade). I remember some years ago during the last summer ramadan cycle that we had considerable numbers of labourers collapse and there were inevitably some deaths.

[/quote]

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me Steve.  I was beginning to think I was going mad.  I used to tell people how sorry I felt for the Pakistani crew we used to have on our ship when we did the Norwegian fjord cruise in June.  It got dark at about 11.45pm and light at 3am and during the hot days they were out on the deck painting the sides of the ship white.  Then, in recent years with Ramadan being in October/September I've been thinking that my memory was playing tricks on me, but as this was about 20 years ago it makes sense that it was Ramadan in mid June.  The end of Ramadan feast that they laid on for us officers was fantastic though - even if they were totally hypocritcal in that the alcohol flowed like a river and it wasn't just for us - they all joined in too!!!

I can't wait until next year, when it should be during the holidays.  It's not that I don't respect the kids' choice, but they do seem to expect things to slow down, not to have tests and so on.  We don't make any allowances, but since the beginning of the week, all I've heard is Madame, j'ai faim.  [:@]

[quote user="Tourangelle"] since the beginning of the week, all I've heard is Madame, j'ai faim.  [:@]
[/quote]

Really? They sound like a whingy lot. Mine go through the whole thing stoically. No way am I not doing tests for a whole month and the question has never been asked in any of the schools I've worked in. It should get better next week, they get used to not eating.

I forgot to ask, did you get a decent mut'?

[quote user="St Amour"]

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me Steve.  I was beginning to think I was going mad.  I used to tell people how sorry I felt for the Pakistani crew we used to have on our ship when we did the Norwegian fjord cruise in June.  It got dark at about 11.45pm and light at 3am and during the hot days they were out on the deck painting the sides of the ship white.  Then, in recent years with Ramadan being in October/September I've been thinking that my memory was playing tricks on me, but as this was about 20 years ago it makes sense that it was Ramadan in mid June.  The end of Ramadan feast that they laid on for us officers was fantastic though - even if they were totally hypocritcal in that the alcohol flowed like a river and it wasn't just for us - they all joined in too!!!

[/quote]

Its not 'totally' hypocritical, it really depends on your own personal interpretation of the Koran. Many Muslims will drink wine but not spirits, others will drink beer but not wine or spirits etc etc. I have never worked out how the 'rules' work. I had a friend stay over in Wales and he was quite happy to drink homemade wine and he is quite a 'good' Muslim. Go into any of the bars in Dubai and then tell me that Muslims dont drink alcohol !!!!!!  [8-)]

Cripes, Lordy,  Moses.  Have you seen how many religions there are if you do a search?

Just for starters, without going into sub-groups/factions:

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion

2. Islam: 1.3 billion

3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

4. Hinduism: 900 million

5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

6. Buddhism: 376 million

7. primal-indigenous: 300 million

8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

9. Sikhism: 23 million

10. Juche: 19 million

11. Spiritism: 15 million

12. Judaism: 14 million

13. Baha'i: 7 million

14. Jainism: 4.2 million

15. Shinto: 4 million

16. Cao Dai: 4 million

17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

18. Tenrikyo: 2 million

19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million

20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

22. Scientology:
I'm sure they are all correct, though.

Just an aside to Ramadan and other things muslim...

Yesterday Son&heir asked me to cook a good ol'fashion british roast beef dinner with all the trimmings as for the next 3 months (working in Armenia as a mining geologist) all that he'll be eating will mostly be pork meat.

From previous conversations with him I gathered that food is pretty dire there.

No chicken because of bird flu, no beef cattle as no proper butchering and cold storage facilities, some lamb which is more like tough mutton in taste, some fresh water fish and crayfish (but to be careful where it came from as some of the rivers are heavily polluted by run down mining activities from the Soviet era) so all that is left to eat is pork meat in any shape, taste or form.

And all that pork comes imported from .... you'd never believe it .... Iran !!!!