Neighbours...how they differ !

Frederick

One of my French neighbours has a summer kitchen building that backs onto my garden ....when she wanted some work done on it that required access from my side ...a very formal approach was made  to me to request  the access .... and pointing out that it would be at a time I would be happy with so as not be inconvenienced by her workers ....This even when she must know when I leave and that  I would be none the wiser if they came round and the work was done . . It was only new guttering .... My UK neighbour has just removed a connifer hedge on his side of our boundry leaving my rather old fence panels exposed to him .....I took the opportunity to replace the fencing with a rather smart row of larch lap panels all a nice light brown in colour .....I now have green streaks down my side as he has sprayed his side of my fence ....Have I been approached .....what do you think !.... such a difference  between neighbours .....

No we have had this problem with our neighbours , they are not allowed with out your permission to paint or hang anything off your fence . Also you must ask permission to go around and paint it from there side , Get some black paint and paint out there colour from over the top as far as you can reach ...................[6] only joking

Panels are Six foot tall Pads.... and I do not have arms like a gorilla ! ......I shall just have to brush paint my side green now .... one more job I had not  planned to do .  I could make him come round and do it I suppose .... but my wife thinks he would probably spray the shrubs at the same time ....then there would be another job..... cutting back the painted bits off the shrubs !

Pads ....Suggestion 1....sounds like a suicide attempt.....Suggestion 2 means paperwork and hassle .....I am going back to 85 in a couple of weeks for a long stay......perhaps the rain I am sure the UK will get !!! will wash the streaks off ...I can live in hope .......

[quote user="Frederick"]One of my French neighbours has a summer kitchen building that backs onto my garden ....when she wanted some work done on it that required access from my side ...a very formal approach was made  to me to request  the access .... and pointing out that it would be at a time I would be happy with so as not be inconvenienced by her workers ....This even when she must know when I leave and that  I would be none the wiser if they came round and the work was done . . It was only new guttering .... My UK neighbour has just removed a connifer hedge on his side of our boundry leaving my rather old fence panels exposed to him .....I took the opportunity to replace the fencing with a rather smart row of larch lap panels all a nice light brown in colour .....I now have green streaks down my side as he has sprayed his side of my fence ....Have I been approached .....what do you think !.... such a difference  between neighbours .....[/quote]

Who is actually responsible for the boundary fence? if there is a plan on your deeds it will show the fence posts on the side of the person who is responsible.

Its just possible that you have removed and replaced his fence! and if so then it is he, not you who would have the right to paint it.

This is of course assuming that the fence is the boundary and that the conifers were planted on the other side.

I put a fence up at the rear of my UK house when storms removed most of the jungle of trees and ivy that was marking the boundary, as it was the responsibility of my neighbour and he didnt want to do anything about it or contribute I asked his permission to put up the fence.

Several years and several neighbours later I was contacted by my other neighbour (I was ski-ing in france at the time) who asked me to call the people behind as they were getting very shirty about two panels that had blown down in high winds.

I phoned them and said that I would attend to it on my return, they were very unhappy with that and said that if I didnt organise a contractor to do it straight away then they would and pursue me for the money, Needless to say once I had explained that it was their fence and their responsibility they decided to wait for me to return!

[quote user="J.R."]

I phoned them and said that I would attend to it on my return, they were very unhappy with that and said that if I didnt organise a contractor to do it straight away then they would and pursue me for the money, Needless to say once I had explained that it was their fence and their responsibility they decided to wait for me to return!

[/quote]

Nice - but the sort of thing that you want to say to them face to face [:D] - just to see their expression change [+o(]

J.R ....he knows the fence is mine ......the builders put it up in 1989 when they built the house .The coffifers were planted by the previous owner on his side of the fence ....the conifers  that were also on the far side of his garden in front of his own  fence he removed ....and sprayed the fence green ... Fine his fence  can do what he wants with it ... After the 10 foot connifers went on my side of his garden he had exposed my fence ....it was not green so he wanted to match them  up obviously...... and he went ahead and did it  just after I had put brand new 6 foot panels up ....simple as that ...

Next time that you do an oil change on the car dilute the old oil with parafin (but make it very thin) and slosh, or even sluice it on your side, he should then literally be able to see your point!

If it is thinned enough it will fade very quickly and you will be able to refinish it after say a year in your choice of colour, I am assuming that you dont like his choice of green or you would have just done your side.