Ballet Shoes

Russethouse

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I'm not sure how popular the book is now, it may be a little old fashioned, it was published in 1936 so there is plenty of scope age wise...

Anyone see it ?

[/quote]

Yes, I did. I remember the book being serialised on Childrens Hour on the BBC Home service (now that will definitely make me a person of a certain age!)

I was disappointed. I love the book and also remember the version on children's television. It was beautifully made and acted, but the attempt to make it into an adult drama meant that it ended up as neither one thing or the other. I thought the love interest and the portrayal of the dance teacher Theo went totally against the spirit of the book, to say nothing of GUM actually swearing! 

regards

Lisa

Yes, I think the Radio Times mentioned the addition of other lodgers  to make the story more appealing to adult viewers.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't like Victoria Wood in anything other than comedy, but I don't. I had read Housewife 49 before seeing it as a TV drama, I thought she was pretty 'stolid' in it but she won an award - what do I know ?[:(]