NHS waiting times

Benjamin

This is NOT a knock at the NHS, just a request for information from anyone who has reasonably current knowledge of operation scheduling procedures.

My UK resident sister is 70 years old and last September after various tests and consultations was told by her Consultant that she neede the repair/replacement of valves in her heart and that she would be considered as a priority case.

Two weeks ago today she attended an appointment for her pre-op tests and was told that she would be called for her operation within two weeks or else she would need to go through the procedure again. Needless to say she has sat by the telephone for the last two weeks and is now absolutely distraught at hearing nothing from the hospital.

Not wishing to be seen as acomplainer she is reluctant to start contacting the hospital in case that would go against her in the future allocation of theatre time.

Is this normal in the NHS and can anyone offer any advice as to a way forward for her?

There is no doubt that NHS waiting times have decreased in some cases dramatically, but it does vary from region to region and hospital to hospital. In your sisters case if she does not want to contact the hospital (if it was for me I would) may I suggest that she contacts her GP and hopefully he or she will be able to expedite matters on her behalf.

Baz

[quote user="Benjamin"]Two weeks ago today she attended an appointment for her pre-op tests and was told that she would be called for her operation within two weeks or else she would need to go through the procedure again. Needless to say she has sat by the telephone for the last two weeks and is now absolutely distraught at hearing nothing from the hospital.
[/quote]

I think the delay in contacting people such as your sister has more to do with the closure of wards to new admissions due to the inordinate spread of norovirus; which has been infecting old and young alike since early January and continues to cause problems.

If this is the case then your sister should have no worries about contacting her GP or the Hospital for up to date information.

Sue

I would have thought that a phone call to the appointments bureau would be perfectly appropriate. She could explain what has happened and ask if they could give her an idea when it is likely to be. After all she might need to know because of arrangements she has to make. I don't think that could be construed as a complaint.

Hoddy

Try telephoning the consultant's secretary - s/he should be able to tell you.  The need to do the tests within a narrow time frame of the surgery is unavoidable - it is just unfortunate that the tests are rather unpleasant and invasive so if there is a delay (for whatever reason) it may mean having the tests twice.

Contacting the GP may not give many answers as hospitals are notoriously slow in updating GP's.

Good advice above. From my experience, contacting the hospital to enquire certainly shouldn't count against her in the future.  I think one of the things which can delay more serious operations such as heart procedures can be a shortage of beds in the appropriate ward.  Many heart ops need special nursing care afterwards and if there is a shortage of staff or too many other more urgent cases, there can be some slippage.  Wish her well from me.

Thanks for your helpful replies.

My sister will be 'phoning the hospital this morning. If anything definite comes of it I'll let you know the outcome.

Doing thr pre-op routines and then not proceeding with the operation within the time frame seems to be a waste of resources to me.

Benjamin - I cannot over emphasise the very high success rate of following this advice...

I recently completed a long communications contract with the NHS in Norfolk and in working for them, I learned quite a bit about the organisation. Every PCT (Primary Care Trust) and, I believe, every acute hospital has a PALS Service. This stands for Patient Advice and Liaison Service. The people who operate this service are amongst the most dedicated people I met in the NHS. Essentially, what you do is this: Check the relevant website of the hospital or PCT and you will find a telephone number for PALS. Normally, the person who answers your call will be the person who deals with the problem throughout. She/he will investigate/question/liaise and seek answers on your behalf. If the problem reaches a stage where it is necessary to complain, that person will set the ball rolling for that as well. They genuinely work for the good of the patient and have a phenomenal success rate in getting matters resolved.

Try PALS - you have nothing to lose and it costs nothing! 

I would not have thought a phone call would cause any difficulty.  I could see that is somebody called and were angry, rude, abusive, etc. and then continues to call at excessively frequent intervals (i.e. pester) then maybe staff would be less than helpful.  However a polite call would not normally cause any negative impacts (maybe even some feeble excuse e.g. "my answerphone lost all its messages yesterday and I'm not sure if you might have called").

(No experience of the NHS specifically, but when an organisation publishes a telephone number they cannot be upset if people call it).

Ian

An update.

No explanation was given by the appointments depertment when my sister 'phoned but she is now due to go into hospital next Wednesday and her operation will be on Thursday.

There will be no need to have any pre-op tests re-done.

Thanks for the advice.