Military Hospitals

Chas

This is absolutely nothing to do with France, hence its location in the forum.  I know I am not the only ex serviceman on here and hope that, whatever your views on the rights or wrongs of the current conflicts, this Email I received will receive a sympathetic response. I am personally doubtful of the effectiveness of these petitions other than to show the extent, or lack of support! However it gets my vote

"This is a great idea. RMH Haslar at Gosport is set to close, but is still operational and could be made into a great home for our injured service

personnel. 

Some background:  '2 Para' alone have on their current tour sent back over 50 casualties to the UK, and even that many cannot be accommodated at Selly Oak Hospital. So when all of the casualties from other battle groups are added to this figure, how is ONE ward in ONE NHS hospital going to cope? It cannot, and as a result the individual troops are sent home to recover relying on NHS visiting services which themselves are over committed.

We need a dedicated military hospital if servicemen and servicewomen, who have been committed to hostilities and injured, are to get the

medical care they rightly deserve.

A lot more than 5000 names are needed for this petition to survive, and quite cynically, Downing Street has put a time limit of one month -

during the summer holidays - for this to be achieved.  Please support it - please copy the link below to confirm your signature on the petition.

Please forward this email to as many people as you can.  Thanks.

The petition was created by Denzil Connick and reads:  'We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Create a dedicated Military &

Veterans Hospital within the UK.'

Again without going into the rights and wrongs, it is probably worth pointing out that Haslar ceased to be a military hospital last year, and its function is in the process of being transferred to a special military unit at the nearby Queen Alexandra Hospital. Although it is sad to see such a historic building closed, it was designed and built in the 18th century so is sadly not in line with today's needs. Do not forget, either, the defence rehabilitation centre at Headley Court in Surrey which deals with the casualties of 21st century wars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hampshire/content/articles/2007/03/26/haslar_history_feature.shtml gives a short history of Haslar.

There are a lot of these facilities in France, some dedicated to particular units, like the hospital for ex-Legion vets which really does look after them for the rest of their lives if they need it.

More bean-counters making decisions about health care and more distance between what is supposed to be a Labour government and the people that it SHOULD be supporting, leaving aside the nonsense that NICE is coming up with on 'cost effective treatment', it's politicians using the Pontious Pilate defence - wasn't me boss, they did it!!

I'm ashamed that I used to be a Labour supporter and voted to get Blair et al elected first time round - what did we do to the UK?  At least the Tories had the guts to say what they would do, not push everything out 'for consultation' and then crap on the people.

Boy, am I glad I live in the area covered by the French health care system - it's expensive, it's a bit creaky and it's in need of reform but no politician will really attack it, tinker perhaps but not really go for it, for fear of losing their mandate.

Edit; and J and I have signed the petition

I recall the row when they closed the Cambridge Military Hospital in Aldershot and moved a ward into Frimley  Park NHS hospital The Cambridge was really missed ....I have learned that in Salisbury area a number of wounded are being treated in private hospitals.... such is the rush to get them fit to return to active service again ....   that must be expensive  but I am delighted the lads are getting a some 1st class treatment out of it .  

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

I'm ashamed that I used to be a Labour supporter and voted to get Blair et al elected first time round - what did we do to the UK?  At least the Tories had the guts to say what they would do, not push everything out 'for consultation' and then crap on the people.

[/quote]

Me too, that's the first time that I have seen someone else admit to it, it took me many years until quite recently to accept that I made a mistake.

When Mrs T was driving through her reforms against lots of opposition even though I was firmly in the other camp I had a sneaking admiration for her as she was doing exactly what she said she would do if elected which was without precedent and shocked a lot of people who had voted for her.

If only my man Tony had done the same....................