Rangitiki, & Rangitata?

Gastines

A long time friend, at the moment visiting us with his wife, often tells us tales of his trips on the Rangi's and other ships. I hoped to surprise him with some news of shipmates and thanks to the wonders of the web,a mystery to me most of the time, I have been contacted by people from New Zealand/Australia and Houston in 2 days. The chap in Houston has a web site about the Rangitki as his father was Captain for some years,New Zealand Shipping Company and he directed me to www.rms.rangitki.com which actually has 4 pix of my pal on it. The Comments on the N.Z.S.C. site are very interesting reading. Peter has now given us a list of other ships he and his late brother Lief served on and we have found the search fascinating. Peter was on the last trip of the Rangitki when it was beached,prior to scraping, on the beach at Santander in 1962.

Regards

There were quite a few Rangi's. as in Rangitoto etc etc. For List a details of New Zealand Shipping Company click on their website and it gives full deatils. After Peter's visit I can add,not all from NZ,...Hertford/Cumberland/Kent/Remuera/Highland Monarch/Brighton. First trip on The Kent at age 15.

Regards.

[quote user="Gastines"]

A very long shot but did any members on this site serve on the New Zealand Shipping Company? In particular Rangitiki or Rangitata.!955 -1962.

Any Info gratefully received.

Regards.

[/quote]

I thought I knew that name from somewhere, my nan and an aunt emigrated from London to New Zealand on the RMS Rangitata in 1955.  We all went to see them off,  it was possibly in the Autumn of 1955, not sure of the dock, could have been the Royal Albert or West India Dock, I was still in short trousers then!!

We had to get the bus to Clerkenwell and then a trolleybus all the way to the Docks,  I do remember the boat with its two big yellow funnels, I think it took about 6 weeks for them to get to Wellington as they were not using the Suez canal at that time?  Sadly neither of the passengers are here now to recount their experiences.

EDIT I think they probably used the Panama canal and not the Suez canal to get to NZ!!

Ron, your post reminded me of going to my brothers 'passing out' parade from the Prince of Wales Sea Training School, (I must have been about 6 years old) after that he got on a boat for Australia and was gone for nearly 4 months - during that time we moved house - even now I can remember the terror I felt, that he when he came back, if he came back, he wouldn't know where we lived.

You are right, it was a very long trip.