Sandpainting; a huge talent

Gardengirl

Something completely different and an unusual talent.

This runs for about 8 minutes but is amazing and I watched it several times. This type of talent competition I would have a lot of time for.

www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vOhf3OvRXKg

This video shows the winner of "Ukraine’s Got Talent", Kseniya Simonova, 24, drawing a series of pictures on an illuminated sand table showing how ordinary people were affected by the German invasion during World War II.

The images, projected onto a large screen, moved many in the audience to tears and she won the top prize of about £75,000.

She makes several scenes about the war, then 'makes' the monument to an Unknown Soldier. This scene becomes framed by a window, and a family says farewell.

The Great Patriotic War, as it is called in Ukraine, resulted in one in four of the population being killed with eight to 11 million deaths out of a population of 42 million.

I hope the link works for you; the video stopped part way through for me and I had to click on the circle in the middle for it to continue.

I couldn't view the links, I only have dial-up here.[:)]  I imagine, it's something like this;[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_mandala[/url]  I remember seeing some Tibetan Buddhist monks making one - it took them a long, long, time!  The result, although temporary, was really rather beautiful![:D]

Théière, someone said at the weekend there was a tea advert doing something similar; thanks for the link.

Buelligan, sorry you couldn't see it, I found it amazing. It's totally unlike those beautiful mandalas, which are extremely precise and delicate.

The sand painting was extremely swift, one swirl turning the image into something different. I found it beautiful and moving, and very talented. Maybe some of you could attempt something similar, but it's not anything I could even begin to achieve.