Tax taken for 2018

Blodwyn

Last year we had no income tax to pay in France (for 2017).  But I notice a payment was taken from the bank account in January this year, presumably for 2018.  There's no reason to think our income would change much between 2017 and 2018  (it didn't), so I wonder why, and how they decided how much to take? 

Sadly my husband died recently so the income for 2019 will be less than half.  I wonder if they'll still take payments from the bank and if I'll ever get a refund!

Blodwyn,

I suspect this is to do with prelevement at source.  They take some out, automatically, and then when you do your tax return, it will likely come back.  They have also a system where, if you claim refunds for donations to good sources, as I do, we get a token payment to account for it, and then it will come out in the wash when it comes to final adjustment in the autumn.  Bit hard when you never paid tax, but I think that is the reason.  We always paid when the bills came before, but this year they have taken a tranche, already, plus given us back the donation bit.  Totally confusing.

Some-one wiser and more knowledgeable may be along later, but that's my supposition.