Finding building land in Charente

We did that thirteen years ago (in the Haute Savoie), and it worked out really well. We bought a plot and then used an Architecte Batisseur (Architect Contractor) to build our house to our exact design. He worked on a fixed price contract, and met his delivery date exactly. It's obviously more expensive than buying from a developer and only worthwhile if you want top quality - but if it's for your retirement (as ours was) you may be in a position to afford it. We've been very pleased with the result, and would find it very difficult to move into "someone else's" house now.

Good luck in your adventure!

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="Bugbear"]

the 'Marie' in most villages should be your first port of call.

[/quote]

There is not one of those in any of the villages around me [;-)][:D][:P]

[/quote]

Well we have one in ours, and a town hall about as big as a single car garage, all for  a village of only 90 souls. Local postman told us that St Jacques was at one time in the far distant past; the smallest town in France. Not many people know that!     

• 4 months later...

Hi Mikep

Just returned from Charente France looking around east Angouleme area to build. Do you know the area especially Motbron as we fell in love eith this area and surroud. Do you know if there are many Brits there as my french is poor but getting better. We also want to build our own house. We have a builder sorted in the area just waiting to sell our home in the uk and retire there.

Wend

If I were in the OP's situation I would buy a kit house..... Huf Haus (sp) Scandia etc. For me the attraction would be their thermal efficiency, quick build by the company you buy from, no language problems. I suspect that build price /metre is very competitive, might even be cheaper.

We bought a ruin 8 years ago, that long ???, and spent around 10 months to habitable and 12 months to opening our B&B. I think that good French builders are very expensive, it's not entirely their fault ... cotisations and employment regs are punitive.

As each house is to original spec you could achieve the area's traditional style and proportion.

I think it could well save a lot of heartache, sleepless nights........and quite possibly dosh.

Rgds W

Domage........Fulham got beat !

I've liked the idea of Huf Haus for a long time; they were then given approval by Kevin on Grand Designs, and heve become very popular. I came across this from 2008, which I found surprising:

''Naturally, none of this comes cheap. With a build cost from £130 per square foot, a 18,000 sq foot, three bedroom house works out at around £360,000 to £380,000 (excluding the cost of the land). But when (or if) you eventually decide to sell, you'll find buyers may be prepared to pay a premium of 25 to 30 per cent on the resale price, too.''

I'd only ever seen huge houses, which must have cost a fortune, and in expensive parts of SE UK too, but this sounds much more reasonable, even with land costs on top. Given that it's 2 years out of date, how does it sound to you Wilko, and others who've taken it on themselves and with local builders?

They are very keen on insultion, triple glazing etc, and eco ideas can be incorporated, so heating costs should be at a minimum.

HI GG

Had a very quick search and found this though somewhat dated.

http://www.huf-haus.com/php/contdat/106-brown-page6.pdf

I smiled at the price of the kitchen. If i were embarking on the OPs scheme I would certainly talk to them and also loo at other companies doing similar.............I think Huf re the most expensive.

My other thought is, and I'm sure there are downsides, is that if you set up an SCI then if the house were sourced in Germany and built by them in France, your costs would be net of TVA............would this work ?

Happy building

Wilko