Divorce in Spain.

pachapapa

Interesting subtlety in an important jurisprudential decision last week in the Spanish Supreme Court.

In the event of an outstanding mortgage existing in conjunction with a divorce settlement then the redemption of the mortgage will be effected by both parties in equal amounts.

50% for each party.....sounds fair to me.[;-)]

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the equitable 50% : 50% mortgage redemption monthly payments regardless of individual salaries an extension of the principle to the utilisation of the house is reported in the spanish press today.

In effect the house will be occupied alternately for periods of three months by the parties to the divorce with the dependant children being in permanent residence.

The three month periods to correspond with the four academic periods during the year.

http://www.20minutos.tv/video/aegkGMRV-se-divorcian-y-se-turnaran-la-casa/0/

There are always cases of individual injustice when the same formula is applied to all cases. Unfortunately there is a tendency for divorce settlements to bring out the worst in people revealing their inner greed.

But this wouldn't be just individual injustice, but widespread injustice against (I would hasard a guess) the majority of Spanish women involved in divorce. I would be extremely surprised to learn that most Spanish women earn as much as their husbands.

This all outrages me. If people want to have their affairs in order then they can without this. They can sign 'trust issue' things when they get together, sorting it out with a solicitor, or they can simply get married, which can be cheap to do and is legally binding. As far as I am concerned it waste court time and people should not be so darned stupid.

I knew in the mid 70's that when you live together that is all you are doing, and you then have to accept the risks involved if you aren't prepared to sort things out legally.