UK Speed limit to be raised (?)

Pickles

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="gardengirl "]There are frequently hold ups on the autoroute near Montpelier; there were plans to build extra lanes, but now they are apparently thinking of building a new toll autoroute around Montpelier and making the current area of autoroute non-toll, as a ring-road[/quote]

According to Midi Libre, the existing A9 speed limit around Montpellier will be dropped to 90 Km/h with effect from next month. The cameras that enforce the existing 110 Km/h limit are already quite big earners, so this should increase the take even more.

Regards
Pickles

[/quote]

Thanks Pickles, I didn't see yesterday's Midi Libre. It seems to make a lot of sense, as there have been so many deaths in recent months around that area. But I'm not convinced it's going to help me feel much safer - all those Spanish lorries packed around cars in queues at lower speeds!

Interesting posts on the M6; every May we used to set off from SE UK very early so we'd be through the Birmingham area before 07.00 to avoid queues, stopping off at Stafford for breakfast. Then it was very quiet all the way up the M6 to our overnight stop, and on to the Fort William area.

[quote user="Frecossais"]The M6 is a nightmare though from Birmingham all the way north to Blackpool. I hate it with a passion for the density of traffic and for the frequency of junctions on that part.

[/quote]

That is why the built the "M6 TOLL ROAD " avoiding Birmingham completely and very few junctions !

We don't mind paying the extra few pounds for less hassle

Yes, the M6 toll is a joy to drive on too.

For heading to Scotland there is no real alternative anyway  The M1 is hardly much quieter on the southern sections, plus it just ends at Newcastle, requiring a long non-motorway drive to Edinburgh or cut across to the M6 slightly earlier - either way an unlucky run with a couple of slow trucks can potentially add hours to the trip.

How right you are Dave21478. And it is the only motor way to Scotland from England.

A good deal of the  AI is still only single carriageway just north of Newcastle to Dunbar, and everytime I am on that road, it still amazes and disgusts me.

I think it' rather charming. If a road cannot be fast then it should be quaint. When in Sussex we are close to the dear old A272, a road that winds gently from near Heathfield all the way to Winchester. So civilized, I allow three hours for a 100 mile journey, am never late and never stressed.