Costa Concordia- TF1.

pachapapa

Thats twice you have mentioned TV with Internet when talking about this so do we assume you have Internet on your TV then? Don't suppose it's in 3D as well?

This is only a reconstruction by the way based on some information that may or may not be correct. It also states that "We used our Qastor Pilotage software to replay the final minutes of the Costa Concordia and show the sort of warnings that are available to the mariner in today's software.". This does not mean that on the ship they had the same warnings (or colours), they may have had different or they may have had none. For instance he (or somebody else) may have turned the alarms off.

[quote user="Quillan"]

Thats twice you have mentioned TV with Internet when talking about this so do we assume you have Internet on your TV then? Don't suppose it's in 3D as well?

[/quote]

I think you'll regret asking that question Q.[:)]

You must keep up with technology, now I must get back to playing 'Tug Boat Captain' on my BIG screen via T'Internet TV obviously![:D] 

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

I think you'll regret asking that question Q.[:)]

You must keep up with technology, now I must get back to playing 'Tug Boat Captain' on my BIG screen via T'Internet TV obviously![:D] 

[/quote]

And since friday a 3D Blu Ray Player, as well, also with Internet by LAN or WLAN. Belt & braces cant take chances.

[quote user="Quillan"]

This is only a reconstruction by the way based on some information that may or may not be correct. It also states that "We used our Qastor Pilotage software to replay the final minutes of the Costa Concordia and show the sort of warnings that are available to the mariner in today's software.". This does not mean that on the ship they had the same warnings (or colours), they may have had different or they may have had none. For instance he (or somebody else) may have turned the alarms off.

[/quote]

Not strictly speaking true. The first relevant post states as follows...."Downloaded the file and played it on the TV".... no mention of Internet TV at all. If you click on the link given by SS a User Interface opens with the option to open the file or to download the file. Most people will just open the file and view directly. However in my case I downloaded the file to the dektop of the netbook and viewed it using VLC Media Player; I then transferred the wmv file to a USB flash memory key; I then plugged the USB key into one of the USB sockets on the TV and played it on the screen of the TV. This requires some sort of PVR facility on the TV or a DVD Player or perhaps a TNT Tuner.These are quite common and can be used  to record and playback, most are compatible with FAT 16,FAT 32 and NTFS. There is absolutely no requirement for an Internet TV connection.

The second relevant post was directed towards people with more modern equipment with an Internet connection; most of these include access to YouTube. The two things are rather different.

I would like to thank you and SS for taking the pi** out of us 3D enthusiasts as it must rub off on the general non geeky public. When I purchased my 3D Player with WiFi and lots of little extras for € 82,25, I noticed on the shelf above a much lower specification 2D Player of the same vintage priced at € 199. I whispered to myself, "Thankyou Q & SS.[:D]

I have only been on one little cruise with Royal Caribbean. There were most certainly no unauthorised guests on board. The security was very very tight. I imagined that all the cruise liners were like that and am surprised that there is talk of unauthorised guests.

There have been all sorts of shenanigans going on as people try to disassociate themselves. There's  been a few 'selective' bits ' leaked' from the owners with the intent to show that the captain acted independently and the accident was nothing to do with them etc.etc. There have been counterclaims that the owners told the the captain not to abandon ship because of the penalty clauses in the contracts with the passengers. Apparently the company has to pay them quite a bit of money each (around €100k) if the ship is abandoned and then there is is problem with salvage, insurance etc, etc. With regards to salvage once the abandon ship command is given anyone can 'salvage' the ship and it becomes their 'prize'. They can then do with it as they wish which includes re-floating it and selling it back to the owner, insurance company or any other party. As I said it's best to wait for the enquiry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...