Help with Outlook Express and computer screen size, PLEASE

mint

Don't know what's happening with my Outlook Express.  Can now no longer get to my list of messages in my Inbox.

There seems to be a screen behind the one message at a time that I can open.

How do I get back to the screen with all the info such as what messages there are in my Inbox, what Sent Items there are, what's in Outbox, et.

Even here on the forum, the screen is strange, it cannot display all the posts and I can only get to read everything by shrinking to 75%.

Have I done something inadvertently that is really stupid (not difficult in my case) and are there any buttons I can press to get everything back to normal?

Any help, especially if you can give it to me soon, will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not into techie things, Sweet, so must leave that to those who are. However, I had a problem recently with size on screen. Holding control button and + sorted it out, or of course, control button and - (minus, not underscore) for the opposite problem. Hope somebody knowledgeable will be along to help soon.

Thank you for trying to help, GG.

The zoom button will also reduce the writing but then I have to squint.

What I am trying to say is that, all of the posts used to fit nicely onto the screen and now it goes well past the right-hand edge.  Très ennuyeux.  Even worse with my email so please nobody sends me any email.

It's sort of hit-and-miss whether I get to read the messages as I have lost that nice list of messages received in date order.

If anyone has already sent me any messages, forgive me if I haven't replied.  I will do so as soon as I get this present problem sorted.

Sorry, RH, what is screen resolution, svp?[8-)]

GG, you are right it is très aggravating.  However, if I plucked up enough courage (in other words am brass-necked enough), I am going to ask a young Dutchman in my French class who looks like he knows about these things.

Thank you all the same, you lovely ladies; nothing like us filles sticking together, what?

BTW, the Franglas is just to wind those people up who don't think you should ever use the odd French word here and there!  I'd advise them to read some 18 century English novels, absolutely littered with French words and phrases![:D] 

[:)]Thanks, RH, I couldn't even get to that link but it's good of you to try and help.

Off to lunch tomorrow and I believe our friend there knows about computers so I might nab him and see if he'll come and have a look for me.

Also, it's now refusing to let me put it on stand by, only 2 options, leave it on or turn it off![:'(]

Mind you, it's as old as the hills so it might be time to start looking for a newer model?[:)]

RH, I thought I'd let you (and others) know that it WAS the resolution.

My friend came this morning, sorted the Outlook Express and the resolution.  He couldn't do anything about the "stand by" button but he's gone home to research it and will come back to me (I hope).

You know, I have found a computer (brand new) on leboincoin and I am tempted to buy it now on the basis that it will take me at least 6 months to get to know it and then, if this one does give up the ghost, I'll have my new one all ready to take over![:)]

It's nearly half price, has never been used and it's still in its box, with guarantee etc.

Only thing is, it will be an AZERTY keyboard and I imagine that all the instructions will be in French.  As I cannot understand computer instructions in English, I am doubtful that I will be fluent in computer French!

It's a laptop, Pierre, and I am almost on the point of committing.

I am sure I can get used to AZERTY in time and I am also fairly optimistic that I can get the operating instructions in English if needs be.

However, it will probably take longer to be weaned onto Windows 8, not to mention touch-screen (which I personally think is messy on the screen and is a source of cross-infection!!![:-))])

Paranoid and ridiculous, moi?  Ah, more than probable [:(]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

It's a laptop, Pierre, and I am almost on the point of committing.

I am sure I can get used to AZERTY in time and I am also fairly optimistic that I can get the operating instructions in English if needs be.

However, it will probably take longer to be weaned onto Windows 8, not to mention touch-screen (which I personally think is messy on the screen and is a source of cross-infection!!![:-))])

Paranoid and ridiculous, moi?  Ah, more than probable [:(]

[/quote]

It took me two weeks to get used to azerty, but it took a lot longer to get used to qwerty again.

I also got used to using the azerty keyboard quickly in gthe days when I had to visit

the internet café, before we had an internet connection at the

apartment - once I'd got used to alt gr for whatever it is in basic

punctuation (so long ago since I used one now). Just like Richard, it

was the changing back to querty that was difficult - rather like using a

new car for a while, then changing back to the old one. Some people can

change backwards and forwards from one car or keyboard to another,

whereas some of us have great difficulty.

Good luck with it, Sweet - I'm

sure all these probelms (I should say challenges as PC came into the

conversation) keep us young, even if we get more grey hairs because of

them!  [:D]

You're absolutely right about changing back.  For a long time I was using a qwertZ keyboard at work and home which is German I think, recently I was given a qwertY at work and it's taken a while to adapt again.

My first experience with AZERTY was giving a demo to a large roomful of people on a huge projection screen.  I couldn't even enter my Password to get started!  Fortunately a colleague whispered 'it's azerty' and saved the day for me !