Oops..(That's the polite version)..lost data...

YCCMB

So, last night I was working on a translation, and my computer started playing silly ***s. I frequently have a problem whereby a key (or something) gets "stuck", and every time I click on, say, a forum post, it opens in a new tab. clicking on other keys to perform actions like going back a page opens dialogue boxes I wasn't expecting. THAT isn't my problem, because I can simply restart the computer and the problem resolves itself. It's annoying, but not life-threatening.

So, last night, it happened again, and as always I decided to restart. Only at the time I was working on this translation, and had several documents open in Word. So, of course, I saved each of them before shutting down.

Or so I thought......

What I had failed to remember was that I'd opened them from the download in a zip folder, from which I'd then opened each individual document in Word format, and I'd forgotten that I was working on them directly from there, so the files were actually still .temp files. So, when I restarted the computer, they'd disappeared, along with all the work I'd already done on them.

I have looked everywhere, and I can't find them. I've done the work again, BUT I did save them the first time, just forgetting to save them as Word documents onto my hard drive.

I've looked in "downloads" and in AppData/temp and searched for them, but no sign anywhere.

It doesn't matter now, as I have redone the work, but I wondered if the first attempt might still be lurking somewhere I've not been able to discover?

Oh, Betty, I am in the running for the Forum's most computer illiterate donkey so I can't suggest anything and indeed you lost me about the second line of your post.

However, I do want to sympathise and, if it was me who'd lost all that work, I would have had myself a good old weep.  Just a message of support.....[kiss]

PS email all received, many thanks