Legal Searches of belongings upon entry of a business

Alorrain

Hello, I am an American living in the Paris region. My sister came to visit last week and we went to Printemps. As we entered the store a big black African guy rushed over to us and demanded to look through all of our belongings. I asked if he thought we were thieves and he replied that it was a question of terrorism. I haven't heard of terrorists blowing up department stores. I had a backpack because I have a 7-month-old baby. I suppose that might look like something a shoplifter would carry. Directly from Printemps, we went to Carrefour to go grocery shopping. Once again, accosted by another security guard. This time, though, he was trying to force me to lock up my backpack in one of the plastic lock bags they provide. I asked if I was obligated to lock up my backpack and he replied yes. I find this highly insulting, especially when I have bottles, diapers, and toys for my baby inside. I shopped regularly at Carrefour and they never asked in the past.

So, my question is this - legally, do these security guards have the right to search your belongings before you enter a store? Secondly, do they have a legal right to force you to lock your belongings when you enter a store?

I don't think that they have any legal powers at all, but I imagine that, acting as agents for the stores in question, they would have every right to refuse you entry if you fail to comply with the store's requirements.
In different circumstances, I would find such searches intrusive but, given the real concerns over terrorism today is it really asking too much that you let them look in your bag, and lock your backpack away whilst in the store? It's not really likely that you'll want to change a baby's nappy whilst walking around the supermarket aisles, is it?
Maggie

LAST EDITED ON 30-Mar-04 AT 07:14 PM (GMT)

Dear alorrain

... and just remind me of the relevance of the ethnic background of the security guard ??

As with other such postings in the past, the posting would have lost none of its impact without that reference ...

But I know others will won't like my saying so ...

Best wishes

Jean-Paul

Hi alorrain

I think everyone is in a heightened state of security after the Madrid bombings. Remember, Paris was a target not so long ago. Being a Mother of 3, and an American, I do understand how you feel... but things are done a bit differently in Europe. Printemps is not like Neiman-Marcus or Nordstroms and Carrefours is nothing like Vons or Ralphs. Every concert I have ever been to in California the guards were 'uptight'.

Yes, they do have every right to 'ask' you to place your backpack in a locker. I would always wear a fanny-pack (or bum-bag) containing 2 diapers, a small rubber mat, small flat Huggies wipe container and some animal crackers or perhaps a small jar of food with a spoon in a baggie. Yes, if my child was hungry, I could nip to somewhere quiet and discreetly feed him or her. (Benefits of breastfeeding, less equipment required!!) If they needed changing, I have had to juggle that on my knees squating in a toilet more times than I care to remember! (Good for hamstring flexibility, I must say...) Most places have baby-changing pull-down tables, but not all.

As for that guards attitude, who knows why he was acting that way? He might have had a tip off to be on the lookout for 2 foreign national terrorists, and you fitted the discription. Its horrid but women posing as mothers (sometimes with kidnapped children, sometimes their own) have been known to blow themselves up... You just don't know.

Many Brits have experienced the anxiety caused by bombing of department stoes, Harrods, Arndale centre in Mancester, Omargh, Warrington town centre, these are just in the last 10-15 years, or less. There are a lot, look at this link which doesn't include all of the terrorist events... http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/low/themes/crime_and_punishment/bombings/default.stm

I was working in downtown London off Oxford Street when the nail-bombings happened back in July '82 with the Household Cavalry and the bandstand. Most injured were a group of disabled children who had come to watch the retired pensioner's band play. 11 killed and over 50 injured, plus the seven horses who had to be put down. Its stupid and sick, isn't it?

I was strip-searched (at the tender age of 24!!) on the way back from a holiday in Germany coming from Hoek van Holland to Harwick. They kept me there for 3 hours interrogating me until I finally broke down and cried. No apologies, just finally a cup of tea and an explanation that Interpol had put out an alert about an International drug ring and one of the leaders was a foreign female posing as a backpacker with long red hair.... Its funny now, but it sure wasn't then!

I hope your sister wasn't too off-put by the attitude of a couple of small-minded jerks. Its lovely in France and Paris is a great place to visit.

Take care, Belinda