Delapidated Neighbour

Barter

Hi,

Our terraced house (maison secondaire) has an attached property, not occupied, which is in a terrible state of repair. To make matters worse, it is uphill of ours.

We are concerned that its condition can only adversely affect ours; if it doesn't already it soon will! Damp, rot, &/or "wildlife" spring to mind, let alone collapse - the chimney stack is already at an alarming angle!

Does anyone know if there is a French equivalent of the UK compulsory repair order (whatever its officially called) whereby the owners can be required to make it safe & sound?

We know that the owners are in a nearby village; we could contact them &/or ask at the Mairie, but 1st. we would like to know whether we have a leg to stand on, & what French terms to use.

Hope someone can help us with the law & the language, many thanks,

Pete & Barbara (32)

I can't swear to it,but,I do believe that if you approach the mairie in your commune,they can actually enforce the owners of this property to make it into a safe condition or demolish it and also they could even offer it to you at a knockdown price(sorry about the pun). I know that properties which border busy roads and pavements have a legal duty to keep their walls/faades in good order and this may also apply to a derelict building. Get the mairie to write to them in any case as they have a moral obligation to look after their commune.