sport migrant

mint

In or out referendum and, on balance, it probably is right to have one.

Now here's another immigration issue.

First there are asylum seekers, then economic migrants, then health tourists but nobody talks much about sport migrants.  The last few days, as part of the Roland Garros coverage, the media have been highlighting Britain's latest sport acquisition.

He has been endlessly referred to as the British Number Two.  I watched Bedene play and lost today.

Makes me think of all the footballers we also import, at huge cost, and rugby players, and athletes.

So, there is clearly some sort of hierarachy of immigrants in the UK.  I think it would be much fairer if the government would clearly set out the list of immigrants that we practically welcome with open arms and the list of the ones that we suspect are only arriving at our shores to escape persecution, death and starvation in their own countries.

Cameron now says that if immigrants lose their jobs, they wouldn't be allowed to stay after 6 months if they haven't found another job.  On that basis, would sports immigrants have to win titles, score goals, break records or would they too be made to return to their own countries?

I don't want to be contentious but I do want to know who decides the "deservedness" of immigrants.

Sports migrants are rarely much of a burden to the tax payer, I doubt if they are in competition for low paid jobs or social housing and as long as they pay appropriate tax here and a portion of their disposable income they help contribute to the funds which in turn support others less fortunate or able....same as any other wealthy immigrant....

[quote user="Quillan"]

What Cameron is doing via the back door is implementing EU Legislation on Freedom to move and live in Europe. Thats the one that Blair didn't accept in to UK law.

[/quote]

Q, why would he want to do that?

And, if his intention is as you say, then he is even sneakier than I though![:-))]

RH, it wasn't a serious question.  I was trying to stir up some controversy as I thought the forum has been too quiet of late[:$]

[quote user="mint"][quote user="Quillan"]

What Cameron is doing via the back door is implementing EU Legislation on Freedom to move and live in Europe. Thats the one that Blair didn't accept in to UK law.

[/quote]

Q, why would he want to do that?

And, if his intention is as you say, then he is even sneakier than I though![:-))]

RH, it wasn't a serious question.  I was trying to stir up some controversy as I thought the forum has been too quiet of late[:$]
[/quote]

Well Blair wouldn't introduce it because his wife said it was an infringement on peoples fundamental human rights to deny them such things as basic (but not emergency) healthcare. This legislation is the one that caused all those problems with expats years back when France decided to adopt it. If you read the link you will the similarities between what he proposes and whats in the legislation. The bit that's not in there and what he is currently proposing is that you have to pay into the system for ex amount of time before you can use it. This will not go through but the other changes will then he can say he has dealt with at least 90% of the problem.

All this stuff about controlling immigrants by using the Australian system of points etc tt is cr*p. As even Ukip said you can't throw those already working out so no difference in numbers there. Farmer 'John' will advertise for potatoe pickers at minimum wage rate. The Brits won't want to work for that sort of money so he can legitimately advertise outside the UK in say Romania and sponsor them to come and work. So all in all it will make very little difference.

Not sure you are right about the Australian system Q. My nephew is there at present, I think for 6 months - if he wants to stay longer he has to go and work on a farm for a period, and it would have to be where he is sent, he would have no choice, then he return to a 'normal' job and can stay two years. His current employer would sponsor him anyway. We also know someone who is thirty who is excluded from this scheme as he is too old ! (suits us as he is a great mixologist and we like having him work at our local restaurant ![;-)])

There are obviously ways to get more out of immigrants.....

PS Its Ok mint - I thought you were having a stir up [;-)]

I don't think they wanted to copy the Australian system exactly, I think they used the description in the broadest of terms. They seemed to be under the impression that you had to have a job to go to when you arrived and that the employer would confirm that you had that job.

[quote user="Quillan"]I don't think they wanted to copy the Australian system exactly, I think they used the description in the broadest of terms. They seemed to be under the impression that you had to have a job to go to when you arrived and that the employer would confirm that you had that job.[/quote]

But I like the idea that if you want to get something out (ie the right to work) you have to put something in, and I suspect that others would too...

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[quote user="Quillan"]I don't think they wanted to copy the Australian system exactly, I think they used the description in the broadest of terms. They seemed to be under the impression that you had to have a job to go to when you arrived and that the employer would confirm that you had that job.[/quote]

But I like the idea that if you want to get something out (ie the right to work) you have to put something in, and I suspect that others would too...

[/quote]

I don't think anyone will disagree with you there BUT there was a lot of Brits who did when they changed the system in France and they where putting nothing or very little into the system here and were worried about losing their access to the French health system, god fif they b*tch and moan. As I have said so many times before if the UK had followed the bulk of other EU member states and added the same legislation into it's own we wouldn't even be having this 'conversation' about EU migrants. Because it didn't I can't see that the UK is really in a position to 'have a go' as it is of its own making.