Child's passport renewal France.

Punch

I am currently renewing my childrens passports from France via the Passport office in Paris.

I have looked at the embassy web site in Paris, downloaded the form C2 and notes, but have a question;

Does anyone know if new photos are required to be sent as it is not entirely clear from the notes provided on the site. It does say that documents are not normally required if you are returning the existing passport (which we are), but is a bit unclear as to whether this includes phtographs.

To provide a new photo which then has to be countersigned by a French or Uk official is obviously more complicated than just sending back the original passport and fee.

Has anyone recently done this and could advise?

I've tried telephoning but it's sods law that the morning I have taken off to do this just happens to be the morning when the office in Paris is closed!!

regards,

Paul

LAST EDITED ON 09-Mar-04 AT 12:23 PM (GMT)

Paul

I haven't done it for a child, but Mrs C and I have both recently renewed our own passports via the British consulate general in Paris. New photographs (2 copies) were required but despite what it says on the forms the photographs (or the applications themselves) do not need to be countersigned.

The direct line to the department which deals with passports is 01 44 51 31 40 - this saves having to go through the always busy switchboard number given on the Embassy website.

Will (50)

LAST EDITED ON 09-Mar-04 AT 12:44 PM (GMT)

If it is for the free 5 year renewal then you will need new photos. I.e the reason for this renewal is to update the photos. We have always sent new counter signed photos whether for child or adult renewals and I would have thought it would be normal practice as the child could have changed a lot since the previous photo - but possibly this is not the case - let us know what they say. BTW it doesn't really need to be signed by an 'official' as such. It can be signed by any British/Commonwealth friends with a 'reasonably' professional type job.

regs

Richard

Yes, I have done this. And we had new photos taken and duly got these photos signed.

I assumed that the reason for the requirement of renewal after only five years was children's appearance changing so radically over such a short time. I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't be issued with a normal 10 year passport otherwise.....sorry if I am stating the obvious.

I don't think that I ever questioned this, it seemed logical that the photo was the reason for renewal so just did it.

• 2 months later...