Maiden name,

Jonzjob

We will be moving over to the Aude in the summer time (please!) and at the moment, although we are married, my wife, Frances, trades under her maiden name. Are there any good reasons why she would be better if she officially changed her name to mine? Are there any down sides or advantages to leaving it as it is?

We need to find out fairly quickly as if she is to change it then alsorts have to be done, so any gen anyone pretty please

John.

No, because one never loses one's maiden name here. Lots of official forms require the maiden name anyway.

An example is forms for the CPAM one has to mark one's birth name and then I mark 'epouse' and my married name, because my prescriptions for example would be in my married name. However, if she is using her maiden name all the time, then she needn't bother doing anything and just continue using it.

I know it comes as a surprise to many British women when the contract for the house purchase in France shows their maiden name, particularly if the maiden name was last used about 40 years ago! As TU has said here is absolutely no problem in retaining one's maiden name. There is another shock in store for the independent minded woman though; French tax forms are normally completed jointly as a couple and not separately.

Liz (29)

• 3 months later...