Homeless?

Bobdude

My husband has been caretaker of a small chateau for one year, and we live in a cottage in the grounds. The elderly owner has unfortunately had to go into a retirement home recently. His family have asked us to stay on here to look after the chateau, but in case they were to decide to sell, can anyone tell us what, if any, rights we might have? My husband has an employment contract which says they can terminate the agreement with one month's notice, and so can he. What I really would like to know is what would our rights be if we were not able to find alternative accommodation in one month? Also, would we be eligible for social housing under those circumstances, and where would we find information regarding this?

Many Thanks.

Thank you for posting that useful link. I have put it in my favourites for safe keeping. It seems we might be staying put for the foreseeable future after all - the owner of the chateau has assured us it won't be put up for sale during his lifetime!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Thank you for posting that useful link. I have put it in my favourites for safe keeping. It seems we might be staying put for the foreseeable future after all - the owner of the chateau has assured us...[/quote]

I dont wish to be disrespectful but If the owner is in a retirement home........... he could be ready to pop his clogs or even get rid of the property.

I would be very careful and maybe look around for something else

Quite so - at 93 the poor devil's days are numbered, but we would rather stay put as long as we can, as we really like it here. But it's wise to be prepared, and we are going to find out what information we can now so we know what to do when the time comes.

[quote]Quite so - at 93 the poor devil's days are numbered, but we would rather stay put as long as we can, as we really like it here. But it's wise to be prepared, and we are going to find out what informat...[/quote]

Ahhh you will be fine then !!! The ******s live 'till about 123 Tough as old nails out here so they are!