goose

I have recently registered again with Complete France forum, this must

be about the third time over the years and each time i have found that

my user name is already in use,  most other websites that ask you register

with them will not let you have a username already in use, why is this

forum different. it has stopped me replying and posting on several

occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps your username is already in use by YOU? Why do you need to register again? Has your login been deleted or have you just stopped using it? It's possible that you are allowed to use the same username because there is a cookie already on your pc from the previous time, so the forum "knows" that the username is really yours? Perhaps one of the techs could elaborate?

DA

[quote user="goose"]I have recently registered again with Complete France forum, this must

be about the third time over the years and each time i have found that

my user name is already in use,  most other websites that ask you register

with them will not let you have a username already in use, why is this

forum different. it has stopped me replying and posting on several

occasions.[/quote]

I think that there is a glitch in the forum software which means that if you change your username after you have joined, it doesn't check your new name when new joiners join to prevent them inadvertently taking you name.

Regards

Pickles

I seem to remember that back when this version of the forum was originally set up, the software recognised users by the e-mail address with which they originally joined, rather than by a forum name. In fact, as the software allows the forum user name to be changed, it would not be possible to use this as the main form of recognition.

Because all of the Archant forums shared common databases it would probably be too restrictive to only allow one 'goose' (for example) across all the many forums.

It's because of this desire to share data, and to integrate with all of the Archant sites, that this particular software had to be used. The more common, and more versatile, forum packages did not fit this requirement, and this particular software was by far the best of the limited number available that met Archant's needs. I remember we had to push quite hard to get the company to choose this one rather than another very restrictive, and not at all user-friendly, package.

That was a long time ago now and a lot may have changed in the meantime, and my memory is probably flawed, but that's how I remember things were at the time.

[quote user="Will"]I seem to remember that back when this version of the forum was originally set up, the software recognised users by the e-mail address with which they originally joined, rather than by a forum name. In fact, as the software allows the forum user name to be changed, it would not be possible to use this as the main form of recognition.[/quote]

Aha! So not a glitch, but deliberate, then.

Reminds me of when Microsoft brought out one of the early Word versions which had a fairly blatant bug in it preventing use of the equation editor - rather important for us. I spoke to their helpline and ended up talking to an American operator. The conversation went along the following lines:

Her: "Ah, yes, sir, we know about that - it's additional nondocumented functionality."

Me: "Say again please?"

Her: "Additional nondocumented functionality, sir"

Me: "It's a bug"

Her: "No - it's additional nondocumented functionality, sir"

Me (very puzzled): "Errr ... you're saying that this bug is something EXTRA that you're throwing in for free and for which we should be grateful?"

Her: "It's functionality that is not described in the manual and therefore is additional to what you might expect, sir"

Me:"But the functionality that IS described in the manual ... errr ...isn't functional"

Her: "Exactly, sir"

(by this time the "sir" is being rendered in a tone that says "I'm humouring you now, SIR, and any moment now I'm going to press a little button that will result in all records of your existence being wiped off the face of the earth", so I give in and ask when the next upgrade is coming)

Her: "You'll have to pay for that add-on"

Me: "ARRRRGGGHHHH"!

Other colleagues had similar experiences.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Will"]I seem to remember that back when this version of the forum was originally set up, the software recognised users by the e-mail address with which they originally joined, rather than by a forum name.

[/quote]

True - I sign on with the email address where I first registered - my [old] work address, which is [of course] no longer "live" as I left there almost 3 years ago now .....