Taking Children Abroad Permanently

timc17

Help please.

My wife and i are moving to France full-time in July and will be taking my wife's children from her previous marriage.

We are aware that we have to inform the natural father and probably require his written permission as well.

If he refuses can we still go ahead with our plans or do we have to obtain permission through the courts?

At present he shares custody with my wife although he has had no contact with the children for nearly two years.

ANY!! views or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

timc17

If you look at the british embassy website there is some information about taking children away. I don't know how these laws would be interpreted as you are moving home here. I would certainly try and get the father's written permission and if he won't give it contact a family lawyer or the court and see what you have to do then.

As teamedup has suggested its best to check it out with a lawyer.

In our case we moved from germany to England and then later to france. The father had custody and saw the children once a month. However as we were moving within the EU he could not stop the move.For him he now sees them for longer periods as the children go to germany for holidays 2 or 3 times a year.

ps should point out that the father and mother are german and the children where also born in germany