Squatters and their rights

Lavie

Have recently read on another site a rather worrying article about squatters in France and their rights and how they cannot be evicted in winter and how the real owner has to keep on paying the utility bills etc. This article descrided the situation of a Frenchman who moved to the USA for a year or so and then found his French property was taken over. (and the locks were changed) Now there are 1000's of holiday homes in France, owned by UK residents that sit empty for most of the year. Does anyone know of a case whereby a holiday home has been taken over by squatters? Or is this just a 'scare mongering' article? Either way, its got me worried!  

Not just squatters.

Years ago some friends went back to the UK to live and they rented out their house to a very respectable couple.  They paid the deposit and the first months rent and that was it for three years....

When you rent out a property you change the utilities into their name.  I rented one of my properties to someone who never paid his EDF bill.  They cut him off and I had to pay to be re-connected but didn't have to pay the bill.  Of course, if they are squatters, the bills are in the name of the Owner.  Knowing this bloody place, if the owner asked to be cut off they wouldn't because of the 'poor' squatters......

You have to be very very carefull.

Hi

EDF have a scheme where the owner can register his interest, and they won't connect to anyone else without the owners consent. Doesn't work if squatters are already connected. You can do this if the squatters are cut off for non payment.

EDF are not interested in the theft of electricity once it has registered on the meter. However they will investigate tampering before the meter. They have a special investigation branch who monitor the installation.

I was advised that I could not cut off the water supply. However the water board did cut off the supply for non payment. We went through a routine of squatter breaking seals and reconnecting, then attaching a hose pipe directly to the supply side, then water board removed the supply side tap, then the squatters moved into stealing others water. Ultimately the CAF paid for reconnection and covered the arrears. The squatters celebrated by leaving the taps on for 1 week (thus flooding a newly renovated ceiling below).

The real problem is that if you can demonstrate you have no assets (man of straw) then there are no remedies :

Bills : don't pay them

Fines : don't pay them

Recorded delivery letters : don't accept them

Court order to bailiff : when bailiffs letter arrives - move valuable stuff out

Expulsion order : tell bailiff they refuse to move out, so it goes back to court.

Car : register in someone elses name

Insurance : no need

etc, etc

My squatters had cars, DVD, TV, etc. They knew their rights and were able to live off the CAF for many years. The CAF, even under notice of non payment of rent (or court ordered penalties in lieu), continue to pay housing allowance.

I have pretty big files on all this !

Peter